HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bucks Chasing Already (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/372888-bucks-chasing-already.html)

iayotehunter 09-22-2012 10:15 AM

Bucks Chasing Already

I was really confused this weekend when we had bucks chasing does here in Iowa already.. Any one else seeing this early behavior? The rut doesn't usually kick in until early November

westMDbowhunter 10-06-2012 09:35 AM

I've noticed the same thing in western md, after that velvets off testosterone starts to rise.

halfbakedi420 10-06-2012 09:38 AM

did the weather get cooler?

op..yer fotobkt..pic 37...too bad that aint another deer behind him lol
nice buks too..i like the skunk doe, with the stripe ya know

BigCountryHunter 10-06-2012 10:34 AM

The temps are in the 20s for lows here the past few days.. I have noticed a ton more buck activity since October 3rd.. Scrapes , Rubs.. Bucks roaming all over the place.. Got alot of different bucks on game cam all hittin scrapes and pissing in them etc.. Going to hunt a stand near there tomorrow..

7MMXBOLT 10-06-2012 01:45 PM

When you say bucks are you saying big mature bucks like 8's - 10's - 12's or young spikes, fork horns, 6's. Young bucks will chase anything they feel more dominate than even before the rut. A lot of times they will bachelor up 2-4 with other bucks just before the rut. Then in pre-rut they go off and start scraping and setting up their territory. I’ve watched bucks chasing doe’s in the middle of the summer (in velvet) as more of a playful activity.

bkautz 10-06-2012 01:56 PM

yea it happens every year...little bucks get antsy and want to do the deed and the does wont have it.....typical early october movement right now..they are just getting fidgity.. Last week of october 1st two weeks of november is when you will start seeing the real deal! Good luck yote hunter

ManofTheFall 10-06-2012 09:17 PM

I haven't seen it yet but I am hearing the same thing from alot of different guys. I have also heard that this year's rut is suppose to be one of the best one's we've seen in quite awhile.

bookfire1238 10-07-2012 12:08 AM

I'm awesome like that!

V8Ranger 10-07-2012 01:19 AM

I'm not seeing squat... Temps have finally come down. 30's and low 40's at night and 50's during day... I have not seen a single deer in 4 days... No fresh track, scrapes, or any rubs other than the ones in my neighbors back yard.... Everything that was showing up on my cameras, (same time every day) are now just gone....

westMDbowhunter 10-07-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT (Post 3987877)
When you say bucks are you saying big mature bucks like 8's - 10's - 12's or young spikes, fork horns, 6's. .

The one I saw here chasing in Maryland was a borderline pope and young ten point :deer:. He was on four does, I grunted (haha figured if he's chasing I'm grunting) and he barely looked for a second until he continued trailing. that was on 9/15, just outlandish!
IMO they always want it, just they know they can't get in there yet so they chase less but still actively do so to keep tabs on the does in their area.