Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Done With Sundown Bow Huntiing >

Done With Sundown Bow Huntiing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Done With Sundown Bow Huntiing

Old 09-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Done With Sundown Bow Huntiing

Yesterday, I shot a buck with my compound. I am always hesitant about hunting within 2 hours of sundown because, 3 or 4 years ago, I shot a nice buck and was unable to find him after hours of searching. Unfortunately, like yesterday, it was warm. The next morning, I found the buck but, the meat was too far gone.

I went out this morning hoping to find the buck but, although I saw the arrow hanging out, there was no blood and no sign of him. While the shot hit a good spot broadside, it did not seem to penetrate more than 1/3 of the way. I was using new Rage points.

Rather than injure or lose any more deer, I decided to cease hunting 2 hours before sundown. I know that eliminates the best hunting hours but, so be it. When gun season comes, knowing I can drop the deer quickly, I will return to normal hunting hours.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Bullets, I feel your pain, but a rifle doesnt always drop a deer. Ive had to track a heart shot buck over 200 yards. Every liver stuck deer I shot dropped within 50 yards. Go figure? Maybe a wider broad head? Or use a dog to track blood? Or just get closer to put a full penetrating shot on the deer? Its up to you, but In my opinion, the only advantage a gun has over modern archery equipment, is range.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only ever lost one deer on an evening hunt. It was a doe. It was in the late season and it was cold so I knew the meat would not spoil. The only problem was I went back out the next morning and the yotes go to her first. There was a buck I shot right about sunset, but I heard him crash. I walked up on him about 1/2 an hour after it got dark. Sorry about your bad luck there. Hopefully you will be able to get back out there and enjoy some evening hunts.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got a know your limitations. Do you practice like you would hunt? If you do then you'd know where the hit was, if not the hits are probably high and not double lunging them.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

That's painful, but you gotta do what you feel comfortable with and not let other people get you down. I had a slightly similar situation on Sunday. I was hunting here in WI and had a lone doe come in just before dark, ~7:05 as best I can figure. I moved slightly to try and get her on film and she pegged me right away. She backed out a little bit gave me another shot opportunity at 20 yards broadside in the exact same location I shot a doe the weekend before. I was at full draw on her, but she pegged me again and I didn't feel comfortable letting the arrow fly in the low light on a deer that was already spooked. It got down to the low 30s that night and I'm sure she would've been fine overnight if predators didn't find her first, but with a full day of work ahead of me on Monday, I decided I wasn't comfortable with it and didn't shoot. I regret it a little bit, but looking back I feel confident I made the right decision.

Not trying to put you down or anything, I know the pain of not recovering a deer, or recovering one that's spoiled. Just sharing some anecdotal information. Good luck on future hunts doing what you enjoy.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Spike

i would check your set up sounds like it may be to light of arrow or the rage is not the right choice for your set up. i dont think tracking in the dark is all that hard if you have the right light.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Need a great light and a broadhead that gives full penetration...I've read too many stories of Rages not going all the way through...I'm still killing deer with 125gr Thunderheads...I'd go back to a regular broadhead...
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Bullets
Yesterday, I shot a buck with my compound.
If you shot a buck yesterday in Pa, you did it illegally! Regular archery doesn't open until this Saturday.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by early in
If you shot a buck yesterday in Pa, you did it illegally! Regular archery doesn't open until this Saturday.
The story made me wonder when I first read it. Sounded too much like a story designed to put down bow hunting by a gun hunter.

Someone mentioned a bright light. I read that a kerosene lamp makes blood stand out like crazy, been looking for a one ever since just to give it a try. At any event photographing searching with a K lamp would make for some great pics.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Archery started in Pa southern region 2 weeks ago, gotta check the regs to see if was doe only or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.