Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does Anyone Remember? >

Does Anyone Remember?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does Anyone Remember?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you wear a harness. Im glad your dad took time to teach you where the roots came from. I did the same with my sons. I feel bad for some of these kids who will never know.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
im 18 and i feel like im hunting in the 70's. I just hung up a baker climbing stand, im sure most people who hunted back in the day know what they are. My dad has showed me many tips and tricks he has learned from hunting his whole life. From the stories he tells seems like going to deer camp was a lot more fun back then with tons of buddies and family, and more of a bonding time than to get monster buck.
From one old Pa. hunter to you, a younger Pa. hunter, do yourself, your family, your girlfriend and anybody else you value a favor and get rid of the Baker Treestand-----please!!!!!

I had a Baker and later a Baker Slim Jim back in the 70's and eventually found that they were a death trap waiting to kill you.

If you like a climber get something like a Summit. Treestands are much better and safer these days. And more comfy, too.

Although us old guys reminisce about the "good ole days" there are many things today that are better for hunting.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

i get up as many stands as possible on private property i have permission to hunt on, even if it means hanging up an old baker i got in the shed (of course i use a harness with that death trap lol) . and i DON'T climb with it, im not that dumb . Its up in a tree about 12 feet up with climbing sticks up to it. its permanently there. i have that thing nailed in good. but really those stands are safe if you know you limits in them. i've hunted out of my ladders, built platforms, my summit climber and the baker. Never had a problem, but i wont go up more than 12 feet with it, nor would i climb with it.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you know what you are doing. You can thank your dad and other mentors for taking time to be sure you knew how to figure stuff out. Wise beyond your years!