Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is it ethical to shoot a running deer with a bow? >

Is it ethical to shoot a running deer with a bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: Would you shoot a non-wounded running deer with a bow?
Yes
11.11%
No
88.89%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is it ethical to shoot a running deer with a bow?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

It was intended as a metaphor.
Now here comes a literal statement....I'm pretty sure that they rely on memory, smell, and caching(hoarding) and still only find less than half of them.
They're out there planting trees!LOL
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Spike

Is this a serious question?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is if you believe in people for ethical treatment of animals. I dont.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the ground or in a treestand?

A buck or doe?

How big?

Is it running towards me, away from me, broadside, etc?

Compound, traditional, or cross bow?

How fast is it running(ie flat out, slowly sneaking, bounding, trot)

What's the distance?

Fixed broadhead or mechanical?

Have I practiced shooting moving targets with my bow(like a target stuck inside a small tire or a tennis ball on a string that pendulums in front of my target)?

Public land or private?

Do I know the land well?

Ever seen the movie Phenomenon ?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats allot to think about in a second or 2, but think fast, and just kill the darn thing.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I was just pointing out how open ended the poll question was.

If I were hunting on the ground with my recurve or my compound and a moving deer came by me inside of 15 yards or so and it was not on a flat out run and I had a good angle and an open shot then cancel Christmas for said deer.

Not necessarily what I prefer.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya, the kind of crap these kids come up with eh? Ethical hunting practices, fair chase. Fair chase would be to run a deer down on foot, and take it down and kill it with your hands, not a thousand dollars worth of bow. We call it what it is, a harvest, because we are realists. And as far as putting animals down fast, tell that to the doctor when he pulls the plug on someone. They either starve, dehydrate, or suffocate, and thats in a medical facility.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
Wasnt fred bear famous for bird hunting with a bow? But very few people could even hold a candle to him.
I've read some on it. Back in the day a 25% success rate was great, that's 1 in 4 arrows slung killing the animal. We shoot for a little higher standard these days. Some of the bird hunters back then would go out with over 100 arrows. Can you imagine 100 arrows today, you'd need to take out a loan and that's without heads.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

He made his own arrows. My cousin does that also out of cedar. He uses a long bow to smack bunnies and deer on drives. Its actually easier than trying to use sights on a running deer. You just draw point and shoot. If the target is within 15 ft and the rubber isnt flying too hard, it wont be a problem. We also shoot trash on boaring days in the winter. Thats where we take the bows on a trail walk in the snow. One guy throws milk jugs, and beer cans, up in the air and the others shoot at it.What ever we find along the trail is a target, and its great practice.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Nope, not even when gun hunting. We have antler restrictions, and don't want to injure or have a mistake kill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.