Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Drop Away vs Whisker Biscuit >

Drop Away vs Whisker Biscuit

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drop Away vs Whisker Biscuit

Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I used to use a biscuit but the more I shot, the worse the fletchings looked on my arrow. So I switched to a RipCord Red and love it, not one complaint with it thus far.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
I had a drop away, and I hated it... Got the whisker biscuit and love it.. A couple years ago I went to shoot at a big doe, I didn't notice that my arrow had fallen off the rest in all the excitement, The arrow went almost straight up in the air. Of coarse the deer blew and ran when it heard the arrow going threw the trees above her... Now I don't know if the arrow fell off before or during pulling the string back.. Once in a while when I pulled it back the arrow would jump up. But when its did that I would stop pulling it back and then just re-pull and all was good. But when that buck fever sets in, or doe in this case, you have a tendency to not pay attention to some things.. I went to whisker biscuit and wont ever go back... Just my opinion...
you were doing something seriously wrong if you had your arrow jumping off the rest when you drew back, anybody with a smooth steady draw should never have an arrow bounce off, in fact, QAD, RipCord, TR Revolutions and many others are FULL containment and your arrow simply cannot fall out of containment.

I have used 3 different drop aways ( now i use the trophy taker pronghorn, its awesome) and there is no question what so ever, the drop away blows a whisker biscuit out of the water.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kateraxl2381
I used to use a biscuit but the more I shot, the worse the fletchings looked on my arrow. So I switched to a RipCord Red and love it, not one complaint with it thus far.
the RipCord is an awesome rest, check out the QAD line of rests if you havnt. One advantage, when you let down your draw, the ripcord goes down, when you let down with a QAD it stays locked up. That is awesome to me.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

I changed from the whisker biscuit to the qad because of the fetching wear. Wb is great for beginning hunters and archers. I have them on my wife's bow and my son's bow.

Last edited by Arjuna; 09-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13
you were doing something seriously wrong if you had your arrow jumping off the rest when you drew back, anybody with a smooth steady draw should never have an arrow bounce off, in fact, QAD, RipCord, TR Revolutions and many others are FULL containment and your arrow simply cannot fall out of containment.

I have used 3 different drop aways ( now i use the trophy taker pronghorn, its awesome) and there is no question what so ever, the drop away blows a whisker biscuit out of the water.

I don't feel I was doing anything wrong. I don't know why the arrow would sometimes lift up. I pull back straight with bow in shooting position. I didn't set my bow up, the pro shop did.. Maybe they did something wrong, don't know... Don't have that bow no more.. The bow I have now came with the WB and I have no complaints.. I never had a drop away till that bow.. Always had to old style fixed V.. Never had all this fancy stuff.. lol... Hell, I didn't start shooting with sights till 6 years ago... lol...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Spike

I have the QAD drop away and love it. It seems to be a little more forgiving. Once you release the string the arrow is no longer in contact with the bow. So if you move a little after the shot it won't make as big of a difference.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

as long as you can shoot straight with what you have it doesnt matter drop aways give you extra fps an WBS give you full capture. thats why i like the QAD drop away its the best of both worlds gives you the fps of a drop away but locks into a full capture rest like the rip cord
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Spike

I recently just made the same swap myself. The only thing that I have ever shot with is a biscuit but one of my buddies I hunt with talked me into trying out the drop away. So far I am expiriencing the same as you and really enjoying my new rest. Even after having this new rest I still do like the wb but I think its all personal preference. My advice try it out for a while see if you still are satisfied with it after this hunting season and then decide which one fits you the best
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whisker Biscuit = Trash.

It works well enough for guys that don't expect much from their shooting, but you don't see anyone that does much shooting using them long term, and there's a reason for that.

In my personal experience, there is absolutely no advantage to shooting a whisker biscuit over a drop away, BUT there are a LOT of disadvantages...

Besides the fact that WB's cost you speed and tear up your vanes, the biggest concern/disadvantage that I see is the duration of contact between the shooter and the arrow. WB's touch the entire arrow, rather than only the tip like a drop away rest, which means the shooter can screw up his shot at any part of his shot.

The only guys I know that have ever tried a drop-away then went back to a WB did one thing or another wrong, then blamed the rest. Maybe a guy used the wrong type of lubricant and ended up freezing his rest (most don't need lubication), or maybe a guy forgot to lock his rest "up" before drawing and rattled an arrow off of the rest. Frankly, a screw up is a screw up. If you don't seat your arrow properly into a WB, or you don't replace the bristles when it needs it, or you nock your arrow upside down (cockvane passes through stiff bristles), it'll screw you up just as bad. I know a guy that shot an arrow into the ceiling at an indoor range because he just set his arrow into the cut out of a WB, and didn't push it down into the center. Screw ups are on the shooter, not because of any given rest.

Best rest (for the money) out there right now is the QAD Ultra Rest. Full containment until release, even if you let it down, then it gets the heck out of the way and lets the arrow do its thing.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive used a whisker bisquit. I was always scared of the way a drop rest works. Too many moving parts and too much could go wrong. Then I tried a drop rest, and it all changed. I love my drop rest, and dont see myself goin back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.