Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent! >

anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

Old 09-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

ive used everything from vanilla extract to incense sticks and ive never had any luck at all,, w/ scents that is>>>>> i think no scent at all is the best scent!!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

NO scent is the best way to go....as scentless as possible anyway.

The only positive reaction I' ve had with scents was on a Monday morning when I made a mock scrape....on Wednesday I returned to hunt that spot and while I was connecting my climber stand a buck ran into and stuck his nose in the scrape that I just rescented......one other occassion was on a drag rag, I was walking to my stand and heard a noise behind me only to see a buck, nose to the ground trailing me,....of course he spooked as well.

I use scents, minimally....if at all.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve had luck with drag rags about every year.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:02 PM

I am with Rob on this one. I feel that no scent is the best scent of all. Personally I feel that most if not all scent companies try to attract more hunters than deer.

The one instance that made me stop using scents was when I had a doe spook after going down wind of some doe in heat lure I had out. I really didn' t mind the doe spooking but the problem was a P&Y 10 pointer was 30 yards away from my stand getting ready to step right into my shooting lane when she busted out taking the P&Y with her. My days with scents are over (Especially doe in heat scents). My 2cents!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:25 PM

Back in the 70' s there was some stuff called Owens Deer Musk, (might have been one of the 1st scents out). I had some real good luck with it.

These days when I put out Tinks 69 I seem to see more deer, mainly doe, but I don' t think it really brings in any bucks that wouldn' t be there anyway.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the 70' s there was some stuff called Owens Deer Musk, (might have been one of the 1st scents out). I had some real good luck with it.
I still have my best luck with " deer musk" ! I' m not sure of the exact name now , but it' s made by " BuckStop" and it' s a blend of buck urine that attracts does and bucks.

I' ve never had any luck at all with doe-n-heat scents!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had success with scents as far as getting a deer to come to my shooting lane. I will continue to use them for this purpose, I don' t expect a scent to call them in running, but to get them to stop in a lane, or to get them to come those few extra yards, its worked for me. I mostly use plain doe P, none of that in heat stuff.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

I have had some luck with doe estrous scents, but the timing is critical for using these. I continue to use estrous scents in mid-rut, but sparingly. As for the other types, I don' t use them.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:47 AM

I' ve had some luck. I don' t think any brand is perfect. But at the right time - at the right spot - with the right deer....I have had some exciting moments. Like it has been said - make sure to use them in the right part of the season and sparingly.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2003, 07:01 AM

Ive had good success with some cover scents and a natural attractants. I make my own pine, acorn and persimmon scents. The pine is the best cover scent. I have finally perfected my acorn seent to not only stop deer for a shot but also attracts them. My final ingredient- vanilla extract. I havent had much luck with the store brands with the exception of some of the pine scents.
As far as Rut scents. Too much money spent and not enough results. There was one brand I used a few years ago that my dad had given me. I used it all season and the deer (bucks and does) would come in to it constantly . Problem is I lost the bottle and cant remember what brand it was!!?? If I could find that one again I would definatly use it. Ive never seen deer react to a scent like that one.

Quick Reply: anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.