Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent! >

anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

Old 09-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone ever have real luck w/ scents?? i havent!

firm believer in the " SEX" scents. Have had some awesome things happen & many on film. I always drag my area to coax deer into my shooting area.
Have never had a deer spook because of my lure. I " DO NOT" use fox, coon or skunk cover ups-only the estrus lures.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:44 PM

As others have stated, i dont expect them to bring a buck cross country to me. I do use them to get deer to (hopefully) stop at that spot, and also to distract him just long enough for me to introduce myself
Old 09-12-2003, 01:54 PM

I' ve had limited success, but it became more trouble than it was worth. I don' t use scents any longer.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

I credit my last three hunting season to Code Blue doe scents, I
truely believe they work.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:47 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Last year during the rut I used some " doe in estrus" ....I put the scent on a scent pad and hung it in an opening, on a small shrub....also hund a " sex wafer" from another bush...That morning I saw a buck(6pt) and a doe...the buck walked right past the scent pad, and was more concerned about the corn...from my feeder. The doe wouldn' t come out into the clearing at all.....she was sniffing at the air, in the dirrection of the scent pad....she acted really nervous, and ended up walking away, though the cover of the trees, instead of in the open...think she new something was up?? I probably wont mess with scents this year.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:14 PM

I always went natural.The best approach for me was no scents, just alot of patience.Steve.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Spike

In 31 years of bowhunting I' ve tried a lot of different things - including the vanilla, but it had to be pure,natural - and have had some good experiences with them. Have used fox and coon urine as cover-up and have had deer follow them. Does usually follow 10 - 15 yds then lose interest, but the buck is more likely to follow it up. Have used the drag rag and had them " track" me to the stand. Now I use regular doe pee for cover-up while going to the stand. Using Carbon Blast had a one-antlered buck come downwind at 20 yds. Next time out I set up an elaborate scent trail to put him sniffing at a tree at l8 yads. He came in all right and completely ignored my work - walked right over it![X(][X(] I DO NOT want anything is the tree or blind, though. I used to use coon scent in a tree stand as it is natural for them to be up there. Worked fine - had coon come in I still like them for " stopper" lures and to try to " drag" a deer into shooting range.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:05 AM

I' ve had mixed results using scents in 30 years of bowhunting deer. Everything from unbelievable to frustrating. I' ve found that I' ve always had very good results every year that I' ve used a grunt call, rattling on the other hand has not been as good. Rattling in an area with few bucks might not be as good as an area that has a higher buck to doe ratio. Go Grunt!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use Bob Kirchner' s scents and have had bucks follow the Trail Maker scent right to the base of my tree.Also the Curiosity scent works on all deer, keeps them looking for something. Wouldn' t leave home without them.