Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Jumping the String >

Jumping the String

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jumping the String

Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Spike

Default Jumping the String

I have already had a doe jump the string this year, and two last year, am i doing something wrong???? I use dead down wind to kill my scent, what are reasons for whitetail jumping the string?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many times because they are already spooked, I don't shoot when a deer comes in on high alert...

Other than that, keep your bow quiet and aim for the bottom third...

Also, make sure you have proper form while from shooting from a tree...Many don't bend at the waist and keep their head down, so the arrow is going to fly high...They think the deer "jumped the string" in they actually shot high...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Agree with nchawkeye - watch the deer's body language. If they are on high alert or spooky I tend to let the walk and wait for the next one. In my mind, one of the biggest lessons in bowhunting is learning when to not shoot.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe its time to get a faster bow?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

First two guys got it right. Try to control yourself and don't shoot at animals that are on alert. The other thing is to get that bow as quiet as a mouse.

Deer don't JUMP the string. Usually they are alerted by the noise of the bow. In the short time it takes for them to hear and react they can drop nearly their vertical body size, but they aren't JUMPING the string or ducking the arrow but their natural reaction is to load up their muscles which causes them to crouch lower. It all happens in less than a half second.

Believe me. There isn't a bow made that shoots fast enough to counter the reaction time of a deer reacting such.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Faster bow, and shoot at closer deer. The arrow will be in the dirt on the other side of em before they know whats happening. If a deer is looking at you, wait untill he isnt.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes its hard to pass on a deer, even if it is on high alert. So if you have to shoot, shoot a little lower.. If there on high alert and there out 35 yards or more, I wont shoot.... And like Furgitter said, wait till there not looking at you too...
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

one thing that I have found is that if you have to stop the deer they are already on alert listening to every sound with full attention. If you don't to stop them wait until the stop on their own. That way they have no idea whats going on when they hear the bow. That is when a fast bow comes in handy. I had to stop a buck two years ago to make a shot. He was roughly 30 yards and my bow shoots 322fps with a hunting arrow. He ducked the arrow without even trying. Luckly I didn't range him and guessed him at 25. He dropped right into the arrow! better lucky than good!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

all the advise is right on imo
you are shooting to far away for yer bow. inside 20 yards there isnt anytime to "jump the string"
usually they duck the shot vs jumping over it. you see them jump and figure they jumped it. but as mentioned, the sound makes em tense up and they "duck" to get ready to jump...evolution? who knows.
quiet that bow up.
sit in a quiet room, blindfolded...load and draw yer bow back...any sound is a tell tell sign for deer to GTFO, especially big deer who have been around.
now shoot the bow, blindfolded? not necessarily, but if yer comfortable at whats in front of you go for it. if not, take the blindfold off, aim, close yer eyes...the key here is to listen....the pop, vibration....the boi-oing...record it if ya can. replay and stereo helps alot.
string and limb dampeners. i dont think you can have to many. i like felt between the strings, helps alot. gl
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good insights everyone,I agree with not shooting if one is on high alert because you may not only miss but only wound the animal as well. Distance is an issue when it's dead quite in the woods and every sound is magnified 10 fold. 20 yards or less is a good limit in my opinion for taking a shot in these situations. A quite,faster bow sure can't hurt ones chances either when they are a little edgie. A good angle and a lower aim should help as well,a bad angle shrinks you kill zone. Good Hunting and stay after them you will nail one sooner or later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.