Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First Video we have done like this! >

First Video we have done like this!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Video we have done like this!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Mike, I watched the video & I have to say, I don't get what all the hubbub is about. Now your son might not have made the best shot on that deer, not every shot is perfect, & yes he may have made a better shot if he had stopped the deer. And yes, the deer likely would have stopped if he had called to it, but then again, it was a 10 yard shot, not a 30 yard shot.

I've watched Will Primos do basically the same thing while driving elk except his shot was at 30-35 yards so he did call out to his elk to get him to pause for the shot, but again the shot was at 30+ yards. If that bull had come trotting by at 10 yards would he have still stopped him? I'm thinking no. And I'm betting knowone would have said anything about how unethical it was either. But hey, this is a public forum & folks are gonna share their opinions, so take the good with the bad.

Good luck to you & yours this season.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for adding that On Point, I was starting to think I was in the little girls section of the forum. I would love to hang arround, but Ive gotta go get some skunks out of a house 100 miles from me, but Im bringing my bow for sure. Nice to hear from ya! Have a great seasion!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Bring the bow for some skunks? I'd've thought you'd take those suckers down with one hand tied behind your back. Snap their neck Special Ops style and they won't even spray. C'mon man, get real. You post a video like that to a public forum populated by (mostly) ethical hunters and get defensive when people tell you the shot was unethical, as are presumably many of the other shots you take. To each his own I guess, but if you don't like the comments on here, maybe it's a hint to stop posting videos like this to YouTube, and especially to this forum. Please don't tell anyone you take head shots on deer standing still let alone moving or this post is going to go on for another 4 or 5 pages with people telling you you're wrong. Your statement about going after a gut shot deer after an hour by pushing it towards 2 hunters in the area you think they'll go sent a shudder down my spine. What happens when that deer runs between the hunters and one or both of them let the lead fly? Is that a situation you would put your son in?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schobs, I bring my bow everywhere I go this time of year. No I dont shoot skunks with it, unless I have to, but Ive never had to. I also dont have arrows made of lead, so we dont have to worry much about letting lead fly at each other. We also know where the deer is going because it is small pieces we hunt, with 2-3 trails going in and out. Safety is an issue as always, so knowing where everyone is is important. Keeping a tree between you and another shooter is also a real good idea. Get to know animals well enough, and they are more predictable than humans, sometimes Im wrong, but not often. The job got put off till tomorrow due to rain. I dont like trenching around houses and mixing concrete in the rain. I suppose Im going deer hunting. I usually use a one way door to get skunks out when they are under a house or shed, then keep them out with wire and concrete. If I gotta trap them, I get them alive. I have no need for a dead skunk. Watch here letting a skunk out of a cage trap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qnRlaUp2KM
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Let me ask, what was so unethical? Is driving deer unethical? Is shooting a moving deer unethical? Is a head shot unethical? The word keeps being thrown around, but I'm not sure you folks even know what you're talking about.

An ethical hunter knows his capabilities & limitations, applies the fair chase rules to the game he's hunting, respects the state regulations & honors the game by basically eating it.

So what hunter ethics did Mike & his son violate?

How bout those head hunters on tv that hunt for nothing more than a trophy, sponsor $$$ & ratings, is that ethical? Is hunting for the sport of it ethical, when those hunters put the head on their wall & end up donating the meat to pantries? Does that seem ethical?

Is it unethical for you to shoot a deer broadside at 40 yards? It would be for me, because I'm only comfortable shooting out to 25 yards. But it's not my place to tell you what you're capable of. That's your call.

How is a head shot any different? If your confident in your shooting ability, how is that unethical? And btw, many deer management operations prefer a head shot deer because a bullet in the brain kills on impact. Unlike a heart & lung shot which does not. So how is killing a deer immediately more unethical than causing a deer to suffer while bleeding out. The only way I see a head shot to be unethical is if the shooter is unconfident in the shot & is relying on luck to put the game down.

If one looks to P&Y, B&C, NRA, NAHC, etc to define hunting ethics, you'll see that Mike & his son are hunting within the guidelines of said ethics. Though their abilities may be different than our own, they are still hunting within the guidelines set forth.

Last edited by On_Point; 09-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I'm thinking that some of you have no idea how to coordinate a deer drive.
DO NOT set your shooters 30 yards apart, facing one another & tell them that when the game runs through, just open fire.

And you folks are accusing Mike of being a dangerous hunter. Geeze!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Unethical to say the least. To top it off a deer drive on opening day of “Archery” season
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

And whats wrong with a drive opening day? A one walker, and one stander drive. I get the feelin this place is a little clickey to say the least. (Hunt like us or its wrong) I think most of you have been watching too much T.V.I get an hour here and there and we decide to go kill some deer. You guys act like a deer is some sort of animal to worship. You do realise that we are going to shoot them, just like a rabbit, squirrel, coyote, etc. They are going to bleed, and they will die. Shooting a running deerfrom the ground, a deer from a tree, or ag taging in a farmers field in August, it all ends up the same. Venison.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Robow45
Unethical to say the least. To top it off a deer drive on opening day of “Archery” season
Which part was particularly unethical?
Is driving deer opening day unethical?
Thanks for contributing, but would you care to elaborate?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

how bout this.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAQ&dur=1726

or this

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=deer+...9,r:7,s:0,i:97

or this

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=deer+...9,r:5,s:0,i:91

or this

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=deer+...9,r:5,s:0,i:91

or this

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=deer+...r:0,s:20,i:141

i could do this all day the pics on the net.
enough said?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.