HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Broad head mark (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/372313-broad-head-mark.html)

hunt7109 09-11-2012 05:32 AM

Broad head mark

1 Attachment(s)
I believe this is a buck my son shot last year with his bow, shot was high and no recovery. I found his sheds in late winter so I know he survived. Upon closer inspection of the picture, I noticed a triangular shape mark right about the area where his arrow penetrated. The shot was a pass through and he was shooting Thunderheads. What do you guys think, is this a healed up broad head wound or just a some other mark on the deer?

Thanks and have a good day.

hunter_ludda 09-11-2012 08:07 AM

Hard to tell from the picture but I shot a buck high last year and my Uncle killed the deer about 1 month later and still had the broadhead wedged close to its spine, so it is possible

razor6570 09-11-2012 09:16 AM

I believe that it is something that could happen. The only thing that i wonder is that the antlers are nearly perfect. typically deer that are injured end up have their racks grow uneven or become a non typical of sorts.
It may have been because wound healed well ahead of their antler growing season.

CodyGuess 09-11-2012 11:05 AM

Could very possibly be but it's hard to tell by the picture

kateraxl2381 09-11-2012 09:24 PM

Very possible, but tough to tell in the pic..

blakefrautschi 09-11-2012 09:29 PM

all i know is those are two VERY nice bucks! good luck with either of them this season!

Armybowhunter28 09-11-2012 10:37 PM

Nice set of bucks hard to tell I hope he gets a shot at him this season.

AquamanPSD 09-12-2012 07:36 AM

definatly not out of the realm of possiblity. A friend of mine hit one in the breast bone with a muzzy and couldn't recover. He dug his broadhead out two months later in gun season, but i agree that normally you would see a deformation in the antler growth unless he just didn't hit and bone or anything and it healed fully before spring.

fastetti 09-12-2012 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by razor6570 (Post 3976049)
I believe that it is something that could happen. The only thing that i wonder is that the antlers are nearly perfect. typically deer that are injured end up have their racks grow uneven or become a non typical of sorts.
It may have been because wound healed well ahead of their antler growing season.

Agreed, more often than not a deer is going to have one side messed up after a non fatal hit. I shot a very nice 10 point two years ago. Searched for two days and never found him. I was crushed until the next year he showed up on camera. A beautiful 5 point on one side and a tall odd shaped 4 point on the other.

Its not out of the question but I think once he has his winter coat you'll know a lot easier. With them shedding summer coats right now its tough to tell.

TreednNC 09-14-2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by fastetti (Post 3976616)
Agreed, more often than not a deer is going to have one side messed up after a non fatal hit. I shot a very nice 10 point two years ago. Searched for two days and never found him. I was crushed until the next year he showed up on camera. A beautiful 5 point on one side and a tall odd shaped 4 point on the other.

Its not out of the question but I think once he has his winter coat you'll know a lot easier. With them shedding summer coats right now its tough to tell.

Generally doesn't happen unless something other than soft tissue is damaged. Otherwise you'd have woods full of nontypicals due to cuts and such from fighting.