Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broad head mark

Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Spike

Default Broad head mark

I believe this is a buck my son shot last year with his bow, shot was high and no recovery. I found his sheds in late winter so I know he survived. Upon closer inspection of the picture, I noticed a triangular shape mark right about the area where his arrow penetrated. The shot was a pass through and he was shooting Thunderheads. What do you guys think, is this a healed up broad head wound or just a some other mark on the deer?

Thanks and have a good day.
Attached Thumbnails Broad head mark-prms0265.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Spike

Hard to tell from the picture but I shot a buck high last year and my Uncle killed the deer about 1 month later and still had the broadhead wedged close to its spine, so it is possible
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I believe that it is something that could happen. The only thing that i wonder is that the antlers are nearly perfect. typically deer that are injured end up have their racks grow uneven or become a non typical of sorts.
It may have been because wound healed well ahead of their antler growing season.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Could very possibly be but it's hard to tell by the picture
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Very possible, but tough to tell in the pic..
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

all i know is those are two VERY nice bucks! good luck with either of them this season!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

Nice set of bucks hard to tell I hope he gets a shot at him this season.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

definatly not out of the realm of possiblity. A friend of mine hit one in the breast bone with a muzzy and couldn't recover. He dug his broadhead out two months later in gun season, but i agree that normally you would see a deformation in the antler growth unless he just didn't hit and bone or anything and it healed fully before spring.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by razor6570
I believe that it is something that could happen. The only thing that i wonder is that the antlers are nearly perfect. typically deer that are injured end up have their racks grow uneven or become a non typical of sorts.
It may have been because wound healed well ahead of their antler growing season.
Agreed, more often than not a deer is going to have one side messed up after a non fatal hit. I shot a very nice 10 point two years ago. Searched for two days and never found him. I was crushed until the next year he showed up on camera. A beautiful 5 point on one side and a tall odd shaped 4 point on the other.

Its not out of the question but I think once he has his winter coat you'll know a lot easier. With them shedding summer coats right now its tough to tell.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Agreed, more often than not a deer is going to have one side messed up after a non fatal hit. I shot a very nice 10 point two years ago. Searched for two days and never found him. I was crushed until the next year he showed up on camera. A beautiful 5 point on one side and a tall odd shaped 4 point on the other.

Its not out of the question but I think once he has his winter coat you'll know a lot easier. With them shedding summer coats right now its tough to tell.

Generally doesn't happen unless something other than soft tissue is damaged. Otherwise you'd have woods full of nontypicals due to cuts and such from fighting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.