Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How to shoot my bow right >

How to shoot my bow right

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to shoot my bow right

Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Spike

Default How to shoot my bow right

Hey all I'm trying to shoot my bow and every time I shoot I jerk and throw off the arrow, can any one tell me some tips to keeping steady, especially when a deer is in my sight.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Relax and concentrate on the point where the arrow will hit...

When I'm in the zone, I see my arrow hit the target where my sight pin is..In other words I'm concentrating so much on the target that before my bow drops the arrow hits where the pin is...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Don't grip the bow. I find it easy to open my pinky and ring finger while holding the bow at full draw. Don't move your bow until you hear the arrow hit the target. Follow through.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by invmp12
Don't grip the bow. I find it easy to open my pinky and ring finger while holding the bow at full draw. Don't move your bow until you hear the arrow hit the target. Follow through.
That is probably the biggest key right there, at least I think it is... Pulling the trigger on your release is just like pulling one on a gun. Adjust your release strap on your wrist so its in the best position for you to get a nice smooth pull on the trigger...
Old 09-11-2012, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Move up close to your target, like 5 yards. Draw and aim as usual, then close your eyes and shoot. Don't try be absolutely still through the shot because you'll tense up, just relax and release the arrow. Do this a few times through your practice session.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

could be lots of things,
first what is bow poundage? are you reaching for the sky when drawing?
draw should be smooth,
shouldnt hold the draw too long,
forward hand should be comfortable, more like resting the bow on your hand instead of holding and grabbing,
it should be able to rest on your hand between your thumb and forefinger even with you hand open.
when releasing like other poster stated, even pressure till it releases, much like a gun trigger, dont pull the trigger quickly/suddenly
when released, bow should slowly drop away on your forward hand
if form is ok, might be the bow/arrow setup, are feathers getting worn at all? they may be making improper contact with the rest
Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Terasec
could be lots of things,
draw should be smooth,
forward hand should be comfortable, more like resting the bow on your hand instead of holding and grabbing,
it should be able to rest on your hand between your thumb and forefinger even with you hand open.
when releasing like other poster stated, even pressure till it releases, much like a gun trigger, dont pull the trigger quickly/suddenly
if form is ok, might be the bow/arrow setup, are feathers getting worn at all? they may be making improper contact with the rest
Couldn't have been said any better!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
could be lots of things,
draw should be smooth,
I'd second this. If possible I would also advise a visit to your local archry shop and getting help. Not to sound to critical, but if the problem is that bad you should not consider drawing down on animal. They deserve more respect than that.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Terasec is dead one....it sounds to me as if you are just too anxious....just try to relax before you shoot. If needed, shot one arrow and stop....go get that arrow out of your target. This way, you will see you can do it, and your confidence will begin to build....it takes time to learn how to properly shoot a bow....good luck and have fun!!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Spike

Ok I got the sights working now with a broadhead, I found out what "follow the arrow" means lol. Now I'm have difficulty shaking. I pull back, aim, get a anchor point, and I start shaking. Then when I shoot the bow jerks and the arrow flies...in the wrong direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.