Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Blue Tongue in central and S. IL >

Blue Tongue in central and S. IL

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blue Tongue in central and S. IL

Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a bummer 700 dead deer anywhere is bad news,all that good eating gone.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

"EHD is a viral disease and the most common whitetail disease. It’s transmitted by biting midges, commonly called no-see-ums, and it happens every year.

During the first few days, the infected deer might look and act normal or possibly show minor signs of illness. After the first week symptoms become more apparent and can include depression, fever, swelling in the head, neck, tongue or eyelids, difficulty breathing, loss of appetite and the deer could loose its fear of man.

Then it gets worse. Some deer develop ulcers on their tongue or have the thick pad on the roof of their mouth begin to erode. To make matters worse, fluid can build up in the lungs and the lining of the rumen can scar. As the symptoms worsen fever sets in and the deer seek out water – that’s why infected deer are usually found dead around water sources."

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big...ease-explained
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you HENSON59, The only thing I have ever heard of is the chronic waist disease, but have never heard of any cases around me. I don't think I have even heard of any in upstate NY, but I don't get out much and live under a rock, lol...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

It is terrible here. I hunt effingham and Shelby counties. And there are a ton of dead deer. I know a guy who raises them and he's lost 60 head! I found 4 on Sunday and 2 on Saturday on short walks an we don't have many here to begin with. There have been over 70 found in the three mile section of river bottoms that I live on. I've heard reports of a hundred or more at lake Shelbyville as well
Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

It really sucks because it takes so long to recover from it. Its been 4 years since we got hit hard in Southern IL and we're just now seeing some decent shooters again.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Spike

I really don't know anything about this. Could someone fill me in about what the disease is and where it comes from
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by medic242
I really don't know anything about this. Could someone fill me in about what the disease is and where it comes from
Did you read the thread? It was described about 3 posts up...

We are getting quite a few reports on my site as well... serious bummer if it hits your area...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Here in Mason county just this week reports say 5 dead in Bath IL & 20 miles away in Oakford a few more. There cutting the corn across the river valleys & finding more every day.