Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missed short

Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Spike

When I used to hunt from a ground blind I missed a few due to bow torque. I was trying to angle out a side window while seated. I have since learned to position better and I now practice for that shot. I also hunt mostly from a tree stand now and haven't really had that problem. Practice seems to always be the answer to sure up those shots.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Fork Horn

Im leading the pack. Missed 5 times in 17 seasons.

1) First buck I ever saw in the woods. Use to shoot competition archery and could group arrows at 50 yards. Missed the buck by a mile at 35. Learned that it's a whole new ball game, shooting at a live animal, when you have buck fever and wearing all the clothes you own.

2) Second buck I saw I missed at 15 yards. I think I was 12 or 13. Didn't realize that broadheads shot different then field points. Another lesson learned.

3) See miss one. Took another long shot at a buck. This time i had practiced with my hunting gear. Same result. Never took another long shot since.

4) Got the shakes on a doe on the last day of season. Double clutched the shot and missed at 20 yards.

5) Hopefully my last miss. Hit my stand with the bottom limb. Arrow just died in mid air and went right under a buck.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

The first year I tried Turkey hunting with a bow I set up behind a blow down. A big tom came strutting in to 20 yards I drew back and smack drove the broad head right into a limb about 10 feet in front of.me. tom ran a little ways and stopped I guessed him at 30 and flung another arrow shot right under him. I had the idea that a pendulum sight was be great never have to worry about yardage again.. shot right over a nice 8 when I was 14.