Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting Superstitions >

Hunting Superstitions

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Superstitions

Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Superstitions

I did this thread a year or so ago and it was alot of fun. Figured Id do it again. Lets hear about all your hunting superstitions.

I always wear my mossy oak boonie hat when Im bow hunting. It can be -3 degrees and Ill still wear it...let my ears freeze and all. When I buy some new arrows I pick the best and set it aside. My "virgin arrow" is the only one I will shoot at deer. Found a pair of my Pop's old hunting pants from 1964. Cut some of the fabric out and keep it in my hunting pack. Reminds me of old Pop ya know. When I gun hunt, the night before opening day I always load the magazine and rack all the shells through it. On opening morning I rack that first shell in the chamber as soon as I get in the stand. May scare a deer or two but it's tradition. The most recent superstition revolves around the camo vest I got last year. I have to wear it to be successful. Don't know if any of these has any effect on the deer I shoot, but it sure it fun. Looking back on it, I sure do alot of weird crap...hahaha.

Ok Yall, your turn. Lets hear what ya do.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I always listen to Marshall Tucker Band's "Fire On The Mountain" on my way to my spot in the mornings!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with two good buddies starting off after college in our early 20's. The first time we had a decent chunk of property to hunt for ourselves for a gun season we found a four point antler that looked like it had been ripped off the skull of whatever buck it was on. It was ripped out with a bit of the skull plate on it and we thought for sure a big buck had done it in a fight. A few months later our buddy (there were three of us) passed away in an accident at 27. Now, me and my other buddy will not drive to where we hunt without that antler on the dashboard and it stays there the whole trip. If we aren't having a good couple days of hunting we'll ask the antler for a little help from our buddy. We haven't killed the big one yet, but I think when we do, it will be well worth it.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Go to to the stand my gut tells me and step on wild apples or leeks
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I have never successfully shot a buck on Sundays so I do not even try.

The rest of the days of the week are good.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clean those deer mounts an make them look good a few days before the season starts. Been doing it that way for many years.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

I almost forgot; on opening day of gun season, before I leave the house I have my fiance pick out which bullet I will chamber first. I always save some of last years venison and eat it the night prior to opening day.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

On opening morning I listen to ted nugent strangehold right before I get out of the truck.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

I've been using the same 'one' arrow every time I hunt. I also add a tally mark on a vane each time I harvest a deer with it.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't call it superstition, well, maybe so, but I have a camo shirt Ive had since I was 16 and a size XL....now Im 27 and probably a 3XL. The shirt it tattered, torn, and cuffs of the sleeves frazzled, but Ive killed a ton of deer in it. I some how squeeze into that shirt. THe odds are probably increased, as I wear it a lot, but what the heck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.