HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Starting to pull the string again! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/369428-starting-pull-string-again.html)

jwassink67 08-22-2012 12:41 PM

Starting to pull the string again!

Its been 10 years since pulling my bow. Its been at my parents house and my father has been taking care of it. The bow is probably 15 to 20 years old. Now my wife wants to start shooting, so I will be picking mine up to shoot with her. We will be buying her a new bow, but its been a long time since I have looked at buying one. We stopped by a archery shop and found out she has a 27" draw when shooting a release. I think she could easily pull 50#. We will be hunting with it at some point in the next 2 or 3 years. We are looking to spend around $400 for everything (bow, arrows, and all gadgets).

What should I be looking for in a bow for her?

The some bows (Mission Craze, PSE Rally) have a huge amount it can be adjusted, does that take away from the relibility, and should I be looking for something more defined to her draw length and weight?

What other numbers do I need to be concerned about other than draw weight and length?

Thank you,
Ryan

huntingkidPA 08-22-2012 01:31 PM

you could also look at the diamond razor edge, Bear Archery, and Martin. . I personally like adjustable bows, since you do not need a bow press to change anything. Some other numbers are the brace height, anything around 7" will be good. You don't want the axle to axle to be to long, which makes it difficult in hunting situations or too short. you should be able to get a good set-up for 400$. good luck.

Bluetickhunter 08-22-2012 01:52 PM

dimond razor edge x2 wife has one love it

jwassink67 08-22-2012 03:24 PM

Ok so I know there will be preference on choice, but would you go fo the package deal or get seperate rest and sights? Its just has been so long I dont know what is good out there.

Thanks for the help!

Bluetickhunter 08-22-2012 03:26 PM

its a packae deal sight quiver rest bow for 329$ all set up here

jwassink67 08-22-2012 03:42 PM

but is the package deal rest and sight good, or should i buy something different with a "bare bones" bow. I tested a Mission Menace with a biscut rest, but it seems people dont like them as well as other rests.

I am just trying to figure out if the package deal equipment is good or just something cheap to sell a bow "ready to hunt".

Thanks

croc2116 08-22-2012 04:46 PM

Agreed, Diamond is a good package for a beginner. They have the RAK package. I have a Diamond w package deal and I love it.

Mibowhunter91 08-23-2012 03:42 AM

I shot a whisker biscut for years until just this year I switched to a drop away

huntingkidPA 08-23-2012 07:42 AM

The package deal will suite a novice or experienced hunter fine. People just like to by higher quality sights/rests/etc when they get more into it.

jwassink67 08-23-2012 07:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the help! Just have to find time to go to the shops and try some bows out.