Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CORN COBBS

Old 09-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default CORN COBBS

I have one off my stands about 30 yrds in a pine bottle neck off a corn and
a bean field that butt up against each other. my question is which field will the deer be using during theearly season sept 13-oct 15. The reason I ask is friend
who is also a bow hunter told me that deer will not tear or eat off of corn still
on the cobb. This stand is the one I shot a doe and a buck off of during mid
season last year, early nov, just wondering if its worth setting there early
season.

GO EARLY STAY LATE.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:53 PM

Default RE: CORN COBBS

I was out yesterday and the deer in my area are tearing up the standing corn. Many many cobbs have been eaten off of. I' d take my chances on that setup
Old 09-07-2003, 06:56 PM

I just used some corn, still on the cobb, to attract deer to my trail cam. They gobbled it up.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:02 PM

How do salt block licks work? want to attrect them to the camea to see whats there for deer.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:10 PM

Your friend is wrong deer will pull that corn right off and the husk to.to get to the corn see it with my own eyes,they like it white the most just before it turns yellow and its still sweet.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up around here, central Minnesota, the deer really don' t mess with the corn until it gets hard and and slightly dented. The week this happens, its nuts, everywhere you go the corn is eaten on. Yeah they eat it off the cob, they eat it off the cob on the stalk even. Early in the season I' ve never seen the deer eat corn. End of October theres no other place to be!

Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer use corn field for everything.....food, water and cover.....

Your stand sounds really good, how are the trails leading to and from....the one problem I see is that you' ll be spooking deer while going into and out of the stand in the dark if deer are in the open field.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:56 PM

deer tear down the stalks and then eat it when it is on the ground. squirrels will climb up the stalk and eat it right there it will look like a banana pilled back.don' t get fooled by the cobbs on the stocks.the coon hunter i am i have seen coons destroy corn fields a people think it is deer, it is the coons we turn the hounds loose and have a race in the corn.deer do eat the corn but the little critterslike the corn to .
Old 09-07-2003, 09:11 PM

i would setup a game camera and see watch you get going into the corn field.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

PA/Powyer
I only use this stand for evening hunts, I come across the bean field 3hrs before
quiting time, the bottlle neck is 60yrds wide on the other side opposite the corn and bean field is a grass field with short knee high schrubs,I exit through this
grass field onto a fire lane and out the oppisite direction I came in. I hunted this
stand 5 evenings last yr, saw 12 deer shot 2 ,1 doe. 1 8pt and had a ten pointer
come in later in the season after I shot the 8pt, this land is under a forestry
program and anybody can hunt it, I dont tell anybody about though.

Quick Reply: CORN COBBS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.