Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
bowhunting out of treestand >

bowhunting out of treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting out of treestand

Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Spike

Default bowhunting out of treestand

This will be my first year to bowhunt out of a treestand instead of a blind. Is it true that you should always aim low? Will be in an 18 ft stand.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Never heard that you always aim low. I guess if you think the deer is alert and you think it will jump the string, you may want to aim a little low in the vital area. I always try to aim dead center of the vitals when I shoot.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Try not to bend at the shoulder that will cause u to hit high
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Bernd at your waist not at your shoulder and aim a little lower in the vital area. No matter how quiet you think your bow is a deer will drop faster than your arrow is traveling. Another thing is the angle of your shot. the closer you are to the animal the more angel you will have and less view of the vital area.I like to keep my shots at about 15 to 20 yds.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the forums Matt! Just to elaborate, "jumping the string" is just the opposite, they will duck or crouch, not always though!
Dont just look at the front of the deer, what I mean is know where your arrow will exit.
Practice shooting angles!!!!!
Take good shots!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

I always aim dead center of the vitals. I am sure some ppl have had deer jump their string and hit high but it has worked for me just aiming where you would like to hit.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

I also forgot to mention to use a safety harness and don't climb with your bow!!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I follow you question correctly, the answer is yes, you should aim a bit low from a stand. This is assuming you have sighted in your bow while shooting on the ground. When shooting from the ground your drop off is a bit more than when shooting from a height of 18ft. Your best bet is to practice from tree stand height at a couple distances to get an idea of how much you need to compensate.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wallhangr
If I follow you question correctly, the answer is yes, you should aim a bit low from a stand. This is assuming you have sighted in your bow while shooting on the ground. When shooting from the ground your drop off is a bit more than when shooting from a height of 18ft. Your best bet is to practice from tree stand height at a couple distances to get an idea of how much you need to compensate.
x2. i have a practice platform in a tree behind my house where i shoot from elevated. dont go out in the field before you practice from a stand. it helped me a lot. i also see lots of people just climb on there rough or shed and shoot from there.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Aim were you want the arrow to exit, bend at the waist are both good answers. Wear a SAFETY HARNESS..............it is not if you will fall it is when..........always WEAR the HARNESS.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.