Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
what broadhead for FMJ's >

what broadhead for FMJ's

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what broadhead for FMJ's

Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Any broadhead that you can get to fly right. They all do the same thing--slice. If you do have trouble getting anything to fly I'm going to suggest that for 70# and 31" your 340 arrows are underspined so don't expect miracles.
i was thinking the same thing, i have a 11 340 fmj sitting around because of the bad broadhed flight under spined. But if u can find a broadhead to fly good let me know might have to give them a try.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a bowtech at 31" draw. My arrows are the FMJ 340's 30 inches long.
I shoot 85 grain NAP thunderheads. They fly great, i have no issues with them.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by razor6570
I shoot a bowtech at 31" draw. My arrows are the FMJ 340's 30 inches long.
I shoot 85 grain NAP thunderheads. They fly great, i have no issues with them.

I maesured a arrow in my bow today and with an inch of shaft infront of my drop away rest my arrows can be cut to 29 1/2 inches. thats almost 3 inchest shorter than they are now. if I drop my draw weight down to below 65# my arrows should be spined ok. I checked the charts and it puts them right on the 340 300 line. at least I can hopefuly get a good shooting broadhead for this season and shop around for some 300 for next year.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

An inch of shaft is more than adequate in front of the rest. 100 grain broadhead would be my recommendation, the choice of head of course is all yours!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by YooperMike
Ryndisher, do you have some kind of custom cam on your Monster, to my knowledge they only go out to 30" draw? With my old bow, I shot Muzzy Phantoms, similar to the Stingers, and they did fly well, surprisingly so for a large profile head.
That is what i like to call a typo, haha. It is a 30".
Old 08-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntalot60
i was thinking the same thing, i have a 11 340 fmj sitting around because of the bad broadhed flight under spined. But if u can find a broadhead to fly good let me know might have to give them a try.
With some work you can get almost any broadhead to fly well, but you have to start out with the basics. That means having an arrow that is properly spined stiff enough for the length and bow weight. Type of cam enters into it, too. With any given draw weight and length a more aggressive cam will require a stiffer arrow.

Then you have to install the broadheads and spin test them to ensure the heads are aligned properly with the shaft. It's not always a mstter of what broadhead you use, but paying attention to all the little details to get one to fly. Some are more finicky than others. These will usually be those with larger blades. IMO the smaller the surface area of the blades the better.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Spike

i use the G5 T3 and they are fantastic leave a great blood trail
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting G5 montecs with mine for a while they shoot great but thinking i will go with rage two blade this year.