Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
what broadhead for FMJ's >

what broadhead for FMJ's

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what broadhead for FMJ's

Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

G5 T3 for an expandable but if you don't want an expandable I would shoot a g5 Striker in my opinion it is the best fixed blade broadhead on the market and is made with 100% steel.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Spike

OldVt where do you get your bow stuff? I am in Bellows Falls and only know of the bow shop in Claremont.
I was thinking that 100 grain would be pleanty heavy enuff broadhead, but was woundering why more than one person , sugested 125 grain.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ronin802
I see a a few of you suggest 125 grain.. is that for moew KE or to get a good FOC balance?
125 gr will do both. It'll definitely improve the FOC, but KE won't change that much. However, if your arrows are as underspined asI suspect the heavier head is only going to make matters worse.

The reason KE doesn't change much is that KE is based on both mass and velocity. A heavier head (mass) will slow the arrow down (velocity) so they kind of cancel each other out. It's not something I would even be concerned about. With your bow at 70# and 31" draw you're going to have enough KE to hunt anything walking on this planet.

And it doesn't matter how much KE your equipment produces if it hits the animal sideways due to bad arrow flight.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Spike

After your inital post i have been doing more reserch and it does apear that there is a real good chance I am under spined. I am looking for 300 spined arrows. Hopefuly some FMJ'S that look like what i have so the wife wont know I bought new ones
Old 08-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a long draw, and you are definitely underspined at that set-up. With your draw, there is no reason not to cut them, at least a little bit. Even cut, you're going to need 300 spine, the shop can order them I'm sure.

FMJs are fantastic arrows, and I've killed deer with Slick Trick Magnums and Grim Reapers. The Slicks are my absolute favorite fixed head, nothing compares to them in my opion, and Reapers are just devastating. Currently, I've got 2 of each in my quiver.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Spike

I am sure they could order me the 300 spine, but I am pretty peved with them right now. I went in and told them my set up and the sold me the 340's sfter looking my specs up on the chart. He could have told me that he did not carry the proper spine and order them fir me, but instead he sold me the under spined arrows instead. This is the owner of the shop and I have been in a few times to have work done to the used bow i picked up. So I wasnt just a one time sale.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

That definitely sucks that you got an under spined arrow, but if you lower your poundage( 5-6 lbs) and cut them a bit, they could work just fine for you, at least for this season if you aren't looking to spend another chunk of dough right now. At your draw length, you should be able to cut off ~1.5" of excess. With the hidden inserts, those can be a bit of a b i t c h to get out, but if you heat up a field point, screw it in, then yank with a pliers they can come out pretty well. It's possible, but not likely, that you can cut off enough arrow to get above the insert without removing it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Monster XLR8 at 70lbs with a 32" draw. I use Axis FMJ's with Stinger Buzzcut broadheads they fly great and are very sharp. Haven't had a chance to stick a deer with them yet but my friend has taken 2 does with them and neither have gone over 30 yards, full pass troughs and his bow is a slow old Hoyt. If you get buzzcuts you wont be disappointed.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ryndisher, do you have some kind of custom cam on your Monster, to my knowledge they only go out to 30" draw? With my old bow, I shot Muzzy Phantoms, similar to the Stingers, and they did fly well, surprisingly so for a large profile head.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Spike

Yoopermike i was woundering if that would help. I will have to figure out how short I can go.. how shaft should have past my rest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.