Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tree Stand Height >

Tree Stand Height

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stand Height

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

They sell tree stand skirts. They hide the lower half of your body when you are sitting down. They even sell tree stand blinds.

I have put a stand 10 ft in a tree before and killed a doe. I had plenty of branches and cover in the tree to hide me. If you can find a tree with low branches and maybe add this skirt to it you should be fine. And good luck introducing kids to hunting. Everybody should take a kid hunting at least once!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=145774
Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

I like to be around 15ft or so.

Just watch your background and make sure you blend in.

Killed many deer just sitting on the ground also. My biggest buck was killed at 20 yrds and me sitting on a blow down.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt the wind and let it dictate your spot for each hunt. To do otherwise is "pissin inda wind". 10ft, 20ft... 60ft it don't matter when the wind is wrong!

I once DID hang a Loc-on gunstand 45-50ft up a large white oak. Birds were flyin BELOW me! But I was 20yrs younger, 50#s lighter and didn't have a good lookin woman and 3 kids waitin at home for me back in those days! Deer for sure had NO clue I was anywhere around, but just climbin up in that thing was an adventure. (Would NOT even consider such today. About all I leave the ground for today is a steel lader or a WELL BUILT shooting house!) The scent IS going to come down somewhere tho.

Deer hunting and wind is like your wife. Friend OR foe... just depends on how you play them!!!
HL
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Try looking up a Big Dog double stand. It may fit your bill. My brother in law and his daughter hunt from one of these, and I have used it as well. Lighter, but plenty sturdy.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info and input that everyone gave me on this.. Really appericate it..