Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Allowing a buck to mature. >

Allowing a buck to mature.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Allowing a buck to mature.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Allowing a buck to mature.

I am sure a lot of hunters have the same problem I do. I have a hard time passing up decent bucks that are "young" because I may never see it again. I would really like to let a good buck pass if he is not mature so he can grow. But most of the guys who hunt the ground around me hunt by the slogan "If it's brown it's down". So I don't think they would let a good 10 point go by even if it could be a giant next year.

So I guess my question is would you take a good younger buck just because you don't think you will ever see him again because of other hunters in your area.

I have included an example of a deer I have seen this year. He is a great young buck. I would love to see him in another year but don't think it is going to happen where I am at.
Attached Thumbnails Allowing a buck to mature.-biggin.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

You will never know if he makes it regardless if you shoot him. Once you pass on a few it gets easier...

Shoot what you want/can use and be proud and thankful...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Spike

The way I look at it is karma. I had the same issue, I held out for shooting a buck on a piece a ground for 5 years waiting for the "right one". I let multiple bucks go that I probably should of shot but were just too young. FINALLY, the right one came that next year and it really made me appreciate the waiting. JMO
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

i enjoy passing up deer, maybe not that big but it makes my season last longer. Where i bowhunt though when i pass up a deer theres a decent chance he will make it to next year. i hunt in some places that are just a little to small for gun hunters to get in so no body is going rambo in there taking out bucks left and right.. Plus i dont survive off of deer meat so im not losing anything if i don't shoot every one. Of course i love venison and eat every deer i shoot.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I eat everything I shoot and as long as I have meat in the freezer I am pretty happy at the end of each year. I am not gonna lie each year the buck fever gets me and I always hope that next deer to step out is a booner. But if it doesn't thats fine. Hunting skin heads especially late season can be a great challenge!

I may pass on him once or twice this year but that third time it might be tough. I am just glad that I live in a place where you always have a shot at maybe seeing a big one.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

its hard for me to pass up any bucks over 8 points because i am a relatively new hunter. in my opinion, the ability to pass bucks comes with experience.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You would be surprised how many of these bucks make it. Once they get past the age of 2 they really wisen up. If they make it to 4 or more they can be like hunting ghosts. Very few of the brown and downers never shoot a nice scoring buck and if they do it's pure luck. I would take my chances and pass on him because odds are in his favor and next year or maybe even give him 2 years, yes, he will be a giant!!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

For starters, I would take that buck in a heart beat, and he would go on my wall! I dont shoot something to make someone else happy. I dont really care how old he is, if the rack is bigger then anything I have ever shot before, I will probably be shooting him. Sure I would like to shoot something that is 5.5 years old, but that is not what makes a trophy to me.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm mainly a meat hunter so the Does give me what I want out of Deer hunting each year. I have shot 2 Bucks in 4 years and have let a dozen walk because they where young 8 pointers or smaller. I would shoot a Buck like the one in your picture because in my book he is a good trophy Buck for a hunter like myself. Your free to shoot such a nice Deer,whether you do or not is your call for your reasons not someone elses standards. Sooner or later someone or something is going to end his brief life,might as well be you.I'm sure you will appreciate such a Deer either on the wall or on the table so it's up to you at that moment of truth and you alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.