HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting Scent Cover Recipe? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/367941-bowhunting-scent-cover-recipe.html)

SteveBlack2 07-26-2012 02:45 AM

Bowhunting Scent Cover Recipe?

I am going bow hunting this season and since the deer need to be within closer ranges than with rifle hunting, I was wondering if anyone had any good scent cover or attractant recipes? I have heard vanilla is good but I was wondering what people have used think of it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you and God bless.

rvaillancourt 07-26-2012 05:19 AM

scent

because you did not say whereyou are hunting .ag feilds or oaks . if in the oaks like where i hunt .gather up some acorns boil them to release the scent of the acorn .let cool train trough cheese cloth and add about two table spoons of vanilla extract not imatation.may work with other crops .good uck:patriot::patriot:

rvaillancourt 07-26-2012 05:21 AM

scent

because you did not say whereyou are hunting .ag feilds or oaks . if in the oaks like where i hunt .gather up some acorns boil them to release the scent of the acorn .let cool train trough cheese cloth and add about two table spoons of vanilla extract not imatation.may work with other crops .good uck:patriot::patriot:ps place in spray bottle 2tbls per gal.

jermelott 07-26-2012 06:25 AM

Check out www.OFAscent.com. I have been using this for a couple of years along with alot of my hunting buddys, and it works awesome!

SteveBlack2 07-26-2012 06:39 AM

Thanks for the help. And I didn't even think of that. But I will be hunting in the woods. I think I'll give those a try.

djandy 09-04-2012 07:29 PM

Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide ( yes, I use the brown bottled stuff)

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water or water from a dehumidifier

¼ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo (I use Hunters Specialties green shampoo)
(Or adjust amounts to whatever size you make accordingly)

Let sit for several days (1 gallon milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter! No dried blood, presents a better image!

Here an idea for some scent free 'baby wipes'...

mix up a batch of scent killer as per instructions above...

take a roll of heavy duty paper towels (Bounty, Scott, etc..not the 49 cent cheapies)

cut the roll in half with an electric knife so you have 2 short rolls of paper towels(don't try a regular knife... it doesn't work). Pull the cardboard tube from the middle of the half roll

Find a rubbermaid or tupperware container big enough to hold the 1/2 roll of paper towels (and with a good sealed lid).

Put one of the 1/2 rolls of paper in the container, pour in the scent killer, let the wipes soak up the scent killer, keep covered tight so they don't dry out. Because the inner cardboard tube is out, pull the paper towels out the from the middle like a kleenex!

Woodsman88 09-04-2012 08:57 PM

Anybody got any tips for Florida where it's deathly hot? It's all planted pines and thick cypress domes. I've used over the counter stuff but I can't imagine it killing all that scent created when walking to your stand.

SteveBNy 09-05-2012 03:43 AM

What do you want - scent reducer, scent cover, or attractant scents?

All are different but few seem to realize it.