HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   home made scent killer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/36791-home-made-scent-killer.html)

hustler 2 09-05-2003 04:38 PM

home made scent killer

Hi does any one have a recipe for home made scent killer. I have one and it turns my clothes white.

nub 09-05-2003 08:54 PM

RE: home made scent killer

Do a search for homemeade scent eliminator in this forum for the last year and you should find it. I think its 8 oz. hydrogen peroxide, 8 oz. distilled H2O, and 1 oz. of unscented liquid soap.

BOWFANATIC 09-05-2003 09:03 PM

That sounds pretty close Nub. I used to putz around making my own and it didn' t seem worth the trouble when I could buy a spray bottle for $5

mlaubner 09-08-2003 01:18 PM

I don' t have a chemistry background for making " scent eliminator" , but a great way to store your clothes, is ot get the " zip-loc" vegetable bags, (They are micro-perforated) and fill them wiht stuff from around your hunting area, leaves, pine needles, moss, etc. and pack it in with your clothes. Put everything in one of those giant zip-loc bags until ready to hunt.
Since the vegetable bags are micro perforated, no dirt or other stuff gets into your cloths, but the natural aroma permeates quites well.

8PT 09-08-2003 02:33 PM

This is from a post last year. I have tried it and it seems to work.

I' ve been using my own brew for a couple of years now. Undoubtably, it is better than anything you can buy and cheaper also. Cost less than 50 cents for 16 ounces.
Here are a couple of examples of how effective it is: Last fall I accidently spilled gasoline on my hands while filling the vehicle. I figured the morning hunt was ruined. But I sprayed some of the stuff on my hands and the smell of gas was instantly gone. This spring we shot 2 hogs. After field dressing them, you can imagine how I smelled like a bore hog. After spraying myself down you would never have guessed I had been anywhere near a hog.
Actually, this stuff is strong enough to take skunk oder off you dog. That' s mighty powerful.
16 oz. hydrogen peroxide 1/8 cup baking soda 1/2 oz. of unscented soap
Stir until the baking soda is completely disolved. Then, let it sit at least overnite or until it quits foaming. Pour it in a spray bottle and you are all set.
Some guys like to cut the mixture with distilled water. But, I preferr to use it full strength.

liquidorange 09-08-2003 04:07 PM

can you spray this mix on your clothing without it turning it into snow camo?

outdoorsman09 09-08-2003 04:35 PM

good question....if it doesn' t i' m gonna make some!

Mossy_Oak_Bounty_Hunter 09-08-2003 09:17 PM

yeah i dont need any snow camo....sounds like it would be a little hard on your clothes. My brother did something with boiling acorns a bunch and then putting the water into an old spray bottle, smelled like acorns but it didnt last, got all nasty and stinky.

Tarheel_Hunter 09-08-2003 10:01 PM

I got this recipe from this very site last year. It seems to work well, but even w/the distilled water, you' ve got to be careful. I sprayed (okay, soaked) my hat a little too much, and after wearing the hat all day, it had lightened my hair a little.

Ingredients for Homemade Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide 3%

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

1/4 cup baking soda

1 oz. unscented shampoo (I use Cabelas hunting shampoo)

Mix in a large bowl (don' t shake up in milk jug) so the baking soda dissolves and pour into jug.

Let sit for several days, so the chemical reaction settles down, and don' t leave in a tightly sealed container! I use a gallon milk jug with a snap on cap. You can use the above amounts in proportion for a gallon, you do the math, lol. I have several used sprayers and fill them from the gallon jug.

10 POINT TONY 09-09-2003 07:44 PM

2 litre' s of water,
1/2 box baking soda
1 cup charcoal {sold in pet shop' s for aquarium' s }

boil all ingredient' s and pour in spray bottle when cooled.
i just got this recipe and have not tried it yet. wondering if it will discolor clothing or your skin. sounds like it should work with the baking soda and charcoal. if anyone has used this recipe please reply.

good luck hunting !