HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How do you hunt a bad mast crop season? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/367846-how-do-you-hunt-bad-mast-crop-season.html)

Hoytail Hunter 07-23-2012 07:40 AM

How do you hunt a bad mast crop season?

In SE WI the oaks have barely anything on them. Those that do are dwarfed sized acorns. I've read that this can make deer easier to pattern as food sources are more limited. What do you think about this and how would you proceed with your scouting/hunting?

26drawny 07-24-2012 04:06 PM

I know where the water holes are and the limited food near them. Always be aware of the water in your area. That is usually the next best thing when it is a dry year. I have two ponds in my area that are about 400 yards apart and some oak and pine between them. I have seen a few bucks since may walk right up and start drinking with me about 8 yards away and not even look at me. Although one doe did see me and gave me up...lol But the water is where I have had all my action this year so far and can't wait till the bow season starts.

Krypt Keeper 07-25-2012 07:45 AM

Bait

just kidding..

water source is a good idea. Deer have to drink. The fields where I hunt at are beans this year. Or should have said were beans.. mostly dirt now.. Hope for a good acorn crop and watch the watering holes.

Hoytail Hunter 07-25-2012 08:06 AM

Good tips guys. I thought to look for white oaks near water as those trees aren't starved.

Hunt or Die 07-25-2012 10:55 AM

Southern Illinois is serving from this too. Crops look terrible!

Mojotex 07-25-2012 06:31 PM

You guys might be way ahead of us down here in the SE USA but it is still early here to know the extent of the acorn set. About 8 weeks of time left here before the early crops drop ... first off are the White oaks, Chestnut oaks and Saw Tooth oaks.

The deal here is the inconsistency. Some oaks, seems esopecially the White oaks, will load up some years and be barren others. So it is always more or less a guessing game. Actually a "scouting" game. Just stay on top of what trees are carrying acorns and which are not. With the severe drought pretty much everywhere around the midwest and deep south, I suspect hefty acorns are going to be scarce where I hunt too. Like the others mentioned, good chances are around creek bottoms where it stays fairly wet.

djandy 09-04-2012 07:32 PM

find that 1 tree that does have a lot of acorns deer will flock to it

AquamanPSD 09-05-2012 08:33 AM

The acrons here in KY have already started to drop :-( Its not all bad though because the season opened last weekend. It just so freakin HOT! its going to cool down this weekend and rain a little bit so I'll be out. The drought in the particular area that i am hunting isn't as bad as other places... that being said the corn is still dead and the baccy is pathetic.