HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   No Plow Fall Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/367826-no-plow-fall-food-plots.html)

henson59 07-22-2012 12:18 PM

No Plow Fall Food Plots

If it decides to rain here in central IL somtime before september I was thinking about trying one of those "no plow" seeds to grow a small food plot on a travel route the deer are taking from a bedding area to 2 fields which by the time october comes around one field will be a worked corn field and the second will be cut beans.

I can't get any equipment such as a tractor or 4 wheeler to this spot and I understand its not as easy as just throwing the seed down and you have a food plot.
I am prepared to use alittle elbow grease. For the people that have tried these products what did you do and how effective was it?

The area I am going to pant which is probably 10yrds wide and 15 yards long is already cleared to the bare dirt. My plan is to go out before a rain (if we get one)and use a metal rake and a small mantis tiller I can carry in to break up the soil then just spread the seed and let the rain work it in.

not sure if it will work but I am going to try.

jag-mag 07-22-2012 06:41 PM

I have heard of a product called throw and grow, never tried it though. I dont see why your idea wouldn't work as long as it can
get a little sun every day.

GTOHunter 07-22-2012 06:48 PM

If you break up the ground as You mentioned I think the seed will have a much better chance of growing,I tried the throw-n-grow last year and very little plants grew from it...we had very little rain so I can't blame it completely on the seed itself and we had poor results in our regular plowed and disc food plots also.

bookfire1238 07-22-2012 08:00 PM

I agree with the author's point of view! I learned a lot. Thank you!

bookfire1238 07-22-2012 08:02 PM

I agree with the author's point of view! I learned a lot. Thank you!

doetrain 07-23-2012 06:32 AM

I have used the Throw & Grow clover,brassica and rye grass mix a couple of times.The first time I used it was near our pond and due to dry conditions and to much shade it did not do well.The clover and the grass came up but not the brassica. This year while developing some land I had some fresh turned up soil and covered a larger area once again in very dry conditions.It seemed it was doomed because of the dryness but because I put lime and fertilizer down and strawed the area,my efforts at watering it have payed off somewhat. We have had 2 good rains and 3 or 4 good showers and it is coming up 5 weeks after I planted it. Only time will tell with more heat coming and dry conditions if it will mature before this fall. Throw and grow with no work doing some prep is a bit deceptive,you need decent soil and rain to get it to grow but it's minimal if the good earth is there. I've yet to see a Deer eat any of what has grown yet,it's not like they are lining up to get at it.