HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Expandables (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/367623-expandables.html)

iayotehunter 07-16-2012 12:52 PM

Expandables

I have been using the 2 Rage in the past but am getting tired of having to purchase new o-rings all the time so I was wondering what every ones choices were for mechanical broadheads? I was thinking about going with the Grim Reapers but figured I'd get some input before I made my decision

superstrutter 07-17-2012 08:43 AM

I've been using Spitfire 100 grain for over 10 years and love them. Never had one open in flight and every deer I have shot, with the exception of one, was a complete pass through. They produce great entry and exit wounds. You don't have to worry about o-rings. They are also durable. On several occasions I have killed a deer and cleaned and sharpened the blades and killed another with the same broadhead. I wouldn't try it three times though. Of course that won't happen every time, but they are great broadheads.

Valentine 07-17-2012 09:10 AM

o rings

Still use O rings and get them from a local store; available in the plumbing dept. at a hardware store. Just take an old one to get the right size. At mine they come loose, so you can buy only what you need.

AR Bowhunter 07-17-2012 03:59 PM

Grim Reapers are nice. I used them last year. They worked flawless three times all except one was pass throughs. The one that was not a pass through fell with in sight. It could not have been a pass if it wanted too.

tim waller 07-18-2012 05:38 PM

bh

shoot thunderheads no rings always open and tough. been shootn them for 25 yrs. tune your bow and they fly with fieldtips. i buy new blades every year and use the same bh

LI archer 07-20-2012 04:27 AM

I am really leaning towards trying the Grim Reaper heads this year. I like the one with the mini razors in the tip. not sure about Rage but was thinkin about rage with the new "shock collar" so they wont open while walking or bumping them.. between Cabela's and bass pro customer reviews seems GR has a better review..but nothing beats trying it on you own gear..so prob what i will do..

jermelott 07-20-2012 09:12 AM

Just switched from rage to grim reaper last year! Love them.

Ken/WV 07-24-2012 06:34 PM

Grim Reapers and Spitfires both are nice without orings or spiderclips.

Krypt Keeper 07-25-2012 07:44 AM

Grim Reapers here.
Never wanted to fool with o-rings so I never have.

Shooting the 100gr razorcut SS head. Love it.

buckfever8991 07-25-2012 07:53 AM

I shot Bloodrunners last year and they were awesome, no problems at all

browtine7 07-25-2012 09:22 AM

+1 on Grim Reapers

Beard Buster 07-25-2012 10:58 PM

If you are buying new O- rings for the Rage, that means you are killing animals (or the ground, trees, or grass). If they do well on animals, how hard is it to spend a few cents on O- rings? JMHO

LI archer 07-30-2012 10:37 AM

for the guys that use Grim Reapers.. I watched all the videos and tests and the hard angle shots on GM website. but wondering from you guys that hunt with them. how do they perform on 1/4 away shots????

thank you

SecondChance 08-03-2012 08:43 AM

Been shooting them since they have came out. Up till this past year I have not lost one animal with them. That includes deer, hogs, coyotes, bear and a near world record Catalina Ram. I have taken over 40 deer with them and all possible shots to test their prowess on all angles.
None of the deer told me that one angle was better or worse than another!!!!
Great penetration, always expanded, and after a touch up on the blades with a moon stone, they were good to go again!!! I'm cheap like that. I prefer to resharpen them and reuse and have yet to see different. I shot a doe with one this past season and I feel that I went over the near lung and took out the far one and lodged in the far shoulder socket. No exit wound. Found her several days later later in a neighbors pond, dead.
Only animal not taken home same day after the shot.

CodyGuess 08-03-2012 11:11 AM

Been shootin blood runners and love the output they give and they fly awesome

StealthHtr22 08-11-2012 09:45 PM

Meat Seekers. 3-blade. Piston driven.

CamoCop 08-11-2012 09:52 PM

Reapers all the way

Todd1700 08-12-2012 10:51 PM

Been using the Reapers for 3 years now. Love them. I have watched every animal I've shot with one fall in sight of my tree. Only deer that I failed to get a complete pass through on was a 230 pound 11 point . Shot him as he trotted passed my tree chasing a doe and hit him a little forward dead in the center of his left shoulder. The Reaper blew through that shoulder and lodged firmly in the center of the shoulder bone of the offside shoulder. He only made it 70 yards. It required a hammer, chisel and a pair of pliers to get the Reaper out of the bone it was lodged it. The blades were a little messed up but the head itself was fine.

You asked about quartering away shots. I shot a 8 point quartering hard away from me this past season. Arrow entered just behind the last rib on the left side and exited right behind the right shoulder. My arrow was buried in the dirt and I watched the buck fall 60 yards away. No blood trailing has been needed so far with these heads but they have sure been there. Looked like something out of a Friday the 13th movie.

NJ Camo Man 08-13-2012 04:44 PM

Used 2 Blade Blood Runners last year. Worked very well