Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
One pin for any distance? >

One pin for any distance?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One pin for any distance?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I went with a red dot scope many years ago. It obviously has one dot and doesn't adjust. If I went back to pins it would be a single non-adjustable pin.

Just like a shot gun with the one bead, you adjust where on the target you aim based on distance. To sight it in, you stand 10' away from your target at shooting level and zero your arrow in. This I have found puts you dead on at 22 yards. From there it's a minor, aim a little high for 30 to 40 yards. Much cleaner IMO.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Spike

I use a Multi-Pin slide that is one of a kind(sort of)..A copper John Mark IV slider bracket with a Copper John Mark I housing with 3 pins in it..25,35 an 42yrds(hold over for 50yrds)..The slider is set to the bottom pin for long range shooting when not hunting..
Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ohio mossy oak
I use a Multi-Pin slide that is one of a kind(sort of)..A copper John Mark IV slider bracket with a Copper John Mark I housing with 3 pins in it..25,35 an 42yrds(hold over for 50yrds)..The slider is set to the bottom pin for long range shooting when not hunting..
now this set up might be the best of both worlds. you have fixed pins for hunting and can use the slider for target/3d shooting.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCop
...if you like single sliders and guessing shots (holding over and under) more power to you, i don't like guessing. i have used a slider many years ago and i hated it for hunting. the reason they are popular these days is because paid hunters like Lee and Tiffany use them. when celeb's get payed to push products, others will follow suit. i can't tell you how many threads i have seen on other forums where hunters/shooters are trying to find out what equipment certain celeb's use. almost as if they will instantly become a better shooter if they have the new Spott Hogg Pimp Daddy Single Slider that Lee Lakowski was using last week....rofl. WHO CARES! try out what you want and see if it works for you. the sliders didn't work for me 20 years ago when i tried them in hunting situations. i shoot with 4 pins (30, 40, 50 and 60 yard pins) and prefer this set up. like i said, In My Opinion, sliders are not good for hunting...can they be used, yes. if you like them, then shoot them. when it comes to bow hunting, simple is better because bow hunters are already behind the 8 ball with variables. good hunting and have fun!
Who's guessing? I've only taken one shot at a deer that was over 30 yards, and it was a 40 yard shot. All others have been 30 yards or less. I have my Trijicon set at 25 yards for hunting, just like I did with a fixed pin sight. Top pin at 25 - aim an inch and a half low at 20 and an inch and a half high at 30. This is no different that you taking a 35 yard shot if your top two pins are set at 30 and 40.

If I have a deer out at 40 and he's moving quickly enough that I don't have time to make that quick adjustment then I probably shouldn't be taking that shot anyway.

I don't know of a single TV personality that uses a Trijicon Accupin, so I don't believe that I jumped on any bandwagon.

Bottom line is that for me (that means IMO) a single pin slider works just fine for hunting, especially one that is permanently illuminated.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I have a new sight this year, the G5 with one fixed pin (once i finish sighting it in will know its best spot 25 or 30)and it has one "floating pin" which i will leave set at prob 40yrds after i finsh sighting it in(hopeing my 1st pin will be 0-30yrds. I was using trophy ridge pendulum/movable sight really liked the one pin. nice clean FOV and just more comfortable for me to use. was not crazy about pendulum so this G5 sight is best of both worlds.. well atleast i will find out in 3months!!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot one fixed pin for many years now. I went to multi pin in 2010 just to try it again. Well, I am back to one pin. I can count the number of deer I have taken outside of 25 yards on one hand. All of my deer have been around 17 yards. The deer in my avatar was at 14 yards. I am also contemplating going to one of the HHA sights. But, just have not settled on it yet. What I like does not reflect on what somebody else should like. So shoot what you like or works the best for you.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCop
unless the deer is walking towards or away from you. then you have to keep figiting with your sight or "guess" by holding over or under. imo adjustable sights have no place in hunting...they require more movement and more moving parts that can go wrong. if you want to spend twice as much on one and chance your hunt, go right ahead, i'll stick to my dependable, tried and true fixed pins. i know once i draw, there is no need to let my string down to adjust my sight on a walking deer or "guessing" by holding over or under. good luck with your purchase.
.... guessing yardage is part of the game, whether it be multi-pin or single. You set it at 25, the deer is walking away and you "guess the shot at 30, you aim slightly high, you would do the exact same with multipins. The whole "guessing" point is irrelevant.
I can also tell you that if your scare a deer away while moving the pin up or down to adjust for a shot, that you need some serious practice. It takes one finger to move a pin up or down.

Also, saying that the only reason they're popular is because people on TV shows use them is ludicrous. I use it, because for me, it's the most accurate, easy to use sight that i've found.

also you get a better view of the target with just one pin, instead of having 3, 5 or more pins in the way of what you're shooting at.

Use what you want to use, but don't say that something has no place in hunting, you can ask the two pope and youngs i got last year if single pin movable sights don't work well for hunting....
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Tru-Glo single pin Brite Sight on two different bows . Easy and quick to adjust . No problem . I have taken deer anywhere from 7 to 35 yards . I don't see a need for a bunch of pins ( my opinion ) .
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Spike

Some interesting posts here !

Used a Cobra multi pin for a long while, hunting in SA, and then I was introduced to single pins - I havent looked back since !

I use a HHA (0.010 pin ) guys, there is NO BETTER !

Generally shoot at 25 yds and less, and as such my slider stays on 20 yds - at these ranges, my trajectory is so flat, that the diff b/n a 15 yd shot and a 25 yd shot is no more than an inch or so.

Once you've shot a single pin, you wont want to shoot a Multi !

Just my 2 cents worth guys
Old 07-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AR Bowhunter
I have shot one fixed pin for many years now. I went to multi pin in 2010 just to try it again. Well, I am back to one pin. I can count the number of deer I have taken outside of 25 yards on one hand. All of my deer have been around 17 yards. The deer in my avatar was at 14 yards. I am also contemplating going to one of the HHA sights. But, just have not settled on it yet. What I like does not reflect on what somebody else should like. So shoot what you like or works the best for you.
Well, decided to stay with the single pin I have now not going to buy an HHA sight this year. Need to buy something else I need worse.

Last edited by AR Bowhunter; 07-09-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.