Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
One pin for any distance? >

One pin for any distance?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One pin for any distance?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default One pin for any distance?

I know there are bow sights out there that use one pin and rely on the hunter to dail in the yardage such are the precesion sight. I was wondering if any has used this or have had luck with it? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

not me. i use multi pin sight. my first pin is good 0-30 yards though.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

are you asking if they make adjustable sights? like that such as HHA(and others) makes?
I use a single pin and love it, never plan on going back to multi pin.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Im talking about the sights where you range the yardage then move the dail to that yardage. I know lee and Tiffany off "The Crush" use to shoot it. Basically you move the pin to the correct yardage before every shot.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunt or Die
Im talking about the sights where you range the yardage then move the dail to that yardage. I know lee and Tiffany off "The Crush" use to shoot it. Basically you move the pin to the correct yardage before every shot.
There are quite a few out there. The HHA seems to be the most popular model. My son bought me a Trijicon Accupin sight for Christmas last year and I'm loving that thing.

Before that I shot a 5 pin sight. My top pin was set at 25 yards and I used it out to 30. Now I just set my adjustable sight to 25 yards for hunting.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

unless the deer is walking towards or away from you. then you have to keep figiting with your sight or "guess" by holding over or under. imo adjustable sights have no place in hunting...they require more movement and more moving parts that can go wrong. if you want to spend twice as much on one and chance your hunt, go right ahead, i'll stick to my dependable, tried and true fixed pins. i know once i draw, there is no need to let my string down to adjust my sight on a walking deer or "guessing" by holding over or under. good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

To say that adjustable giths have no place in the hunting field is bordering on outright arrogance or lack of personal experience. I'd have to ask if you have ever spent any real amount of time (months) using one of them or better yet hunted with one to know what they are all about.

I've bowhunted for almost 40 years and used both type of sights. Add a few of the early pendulums to that as well. They all have their place in bowhunting or so many wouldn't be using them.

For most hardwoods hunting with most of today's bows there is very little need of multiple pin sights. Nationwide the average deer is shot at 18 to 22 yards, a statistic that hasn't changed much since I began bowhunting. To that end the vast majority of shots can be done with a single pin sight. Whether it be a multipin sight with all but one removed or an adjustable sight set for a specific yardage is irrelevant.

I've done a lot of testing and practiced what I learned and the fact is any bow shooting about 260 fps or above can be used with a single pin set for 25 yards to cover distances almost 0 to 30 yards with little or no holdover on deer sized game. The high point of the arc will be just about 2" at 18 yards and there will be 3" of drop at 30 yards. Hold the middle of the vitals and shoot. The only thing to be determined is whether the deer is within 30 yards. It's so simple even a cave man could do it No range finder needed..

As with anything in this shooting sport if done over and over for a long period of time things become automatic, just like establishing good shooting form and/or anchor points.

What about older gents like me? I used to shoot multipin sights, but with older eyes and the need of reading glasses those pins are blurry. So blurry that they look like one long multicolored line instead of individual pins. Single pin works OK, even though I have to use a smaller peep and the last few years a Specialty peep with Verifier.

The moveable sight allows me to practice at whatever distances I desire and then set it for that 25 yards for hunting. You know, there are those of us who shoot at times other than hunting season. Fact is I shoot almost daily. But I guess guys like me shouldn't be allowed to hunt because our bow sight has no place in the hunting woods.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My expereince is much like BGfisher's. I started bow hunting deer in earnest back in 1962. Due to a tough shoulder injury in 2009, I now am a "Cross-Bow" hunter. Like many old dudes like me I started with a stick and over the past 30-40-50 years transitioned to a "high tech" compound. My last bow was a Mathews SQ2 set at about 65#, 29" draw sung matched carbon shafts and a 125 gr. Thunderghead.

I never measured the actual velocity of any set-up that I had. I loved shooting and practiced an insaane amount for years and years. I shot instuictive for decades. I started with a pin sight system probably around 1980. I found that multiple pin set ups were somewhat distracting and soon worked towards a single fixed pin. I hunt white tails and feral hogs in the SE USA. I hunt in the woods most of the time and from a tree stand of some sort ...usually 15-25 feet off the forest floor. "Clear" shots I will get will seldom exceed 45 yards.

I have stayed with a self imposed limit of about 40 yards max. since way back when. And frankly have taken maybe 6-10 shots past that length in nearly 50 years of bow hunting.

The SQ2 was plenty fast enough for me to easily manage a one pin (not adjustable) system. Just took my normal 3-4 days each week of practice to stay good to go. I cannot imagine how I could manage an adjustable type pin .... I guess that would have taken practice too. Usually by the time I spotted the deer slipping along, waited for a good angle and released ... I would have been hard pressed to make any adjustment other than to settle the pin in for the shot.

Then again I am an old dude and new fangled stuff don't come easy for me to try. Lord only knows how long it took me to switch from aluminum to carbon shafts !!! About as long as it did for me to switch from wooden to aluminum I reckon.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
To say that adjustable giths have no place in the hunting field is bordering on outright arrogance or lack of personal experience. I'd have to ask if you have ever spent any real amount of time (months) using one of them or better yet hunted with one to know what they are all about.

I've bowhunted for almost 40 years and used both type of sights. Add a few of the early pendulums to that as well. They all have their place in bowhunting or so many wouldn't be using them.

For most hardwoods hunting with most of today's bows there is very little need of multiple pin sights. Nationwide the average deer is shot at 18 to 22 yards, a statistic that hasn't changed much since I began bowhunting. To that end the vast majority of shots can be done with a single pin sight. Whether it be a multipin sight with all but one removed or an adjustable sight set for a specific yardage is irrelevant.

I've done a lot of testing and practiced what I learned and the fact is any bow shooting about 260 fps or above can be used with a single pin set for 25 yards to cover distances almost 0 to 30 yards with little or no holdover on deer sized game. The high point of the arc will be just about 2" at 18 yards and there will be 3" of drop at 30 yards. Hold the middle of the vitals and shoot. The only thing to be determined is whether the deer is within 30 yards. It's so simple even a cave man could do it No range finder needed..

As with anything in this shooting sport if done over and over for a long period of time things become automatic, just like establishing good shooting form and/or anchor points.

What about older gents like me? I used to shoot multipin sights, but with older eyes and the need of reading glasses those pins are blurry. So blurry that they look like one long multicolored line instead of individual pins. Single pin works OK, even though I have to use a smaller peep and the last few years a Specialty peep with Verifier.

The moveable sight allows me to practice at whatever distances I desire and then set it for that 25 yards for hunting. You know, there are those of us who shoot at times other than hunting season. Fact is I shoot almost daily. But I guess guys like me shouldn't be allowed to hunt because our bow sight has no place in the hunting woods.

which is why i stated my comment was my opinion (imo). if you like single sliders and guessing shots (holding over and under) more power to you, i don't like guessing. i have used a slider many years ago and i hated it for hunting. the reason they are popular these days is because paid hunters like Lee and Tiffany use them. when celeb's get payed to push products, others will follow suit. i can't tell you how many threads i have seen on other forums where hunters/shooters are trying to find out what equipment certain celeb's use. almost as if they will instantly become a better shooter if they have the new Spott Hogg Pimp Daddy Single Slider that Lee Lakowski was using last week....rofl. WHO CARES! try out what you want and see if it works for you. the sliders didn't work for me 20 years ago when i tried them in hunting situations. i shoot with 4 pins (30, 40, 50 and 60 yard pins) and prefer this set up. like i said, In My Opinion, sliders are not good for hunting...can they be used, yes. if you like them, then shoot them. when it comes to bow hunting, simple is better because bow hunters are already behind the 8 ball with variables. good hunting and have fun!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Spike

Wow. Good points made here. But why the name calling and the " poor me" attitude. He made the statement " my opinion ". All archery gear related reviews and comments are just opinion. NOW in my opinion i prefer fixed pin sights. Less. movement
and easy gap yardage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.