HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is this a good bow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/366861-good-bow.html)

Stacknyk 06-22-2012 12:47 PM

Is this a good bow?

I have a buddy selling what he tells me is a Matthews real tree camo FX/Mini Mae Solo Cam. I tired looking it up online but couldnt and didnt find much on that exact name of what he told me it was. Im starting out in bowhunting and not looking to spend alot but can get it for $200. He doesnt know draw weight or length. The labeling has worn off. Only thing visble is String Length: 83 3/4 and Cable Length: 35 7/8. It has Tru-Glo Optical Sights, quiver, whisker biscuit, and stabilizer bar. Is this a youth bow or anyone know anything about this bow? Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Stacknyk 06-22-2012 01:09 PM

Nevermind just found a mathews owners manuel with all the different cam they have and found the Mini which has a draw weight of 35lbs. Lol little small for what i was looking for.

Stacknyk 06-22-2012 04:12 PM

What about a Mathews black max? Just wanna hear what ppl think of this bow.

thanks

mfonts 06-22-2012 05:30 PM

black max

My buddy has one he bought new when it first came out. He still shoots and hunts with it, and still likes it. A little noisy compared to the newer models but it still spits them out pretty fast.

GTOHunter 06-22-2012 07:16 PM

I would check out the Mission Bows that are made by Mathews....the 2 I would check out are the Mission Craze and the Mission Riot.The "Craze" starts out at around $300.00-$325.00 and can be adjusted to several different draw lengths and goes from around 17-20lbs up to 70lb draw weight,it is a short 28 inches axle to axle and it a great Bow You can grow in to.

The Mission Riot is another great adjustable Bow and starts out in the $400.00 dollar Range.

I bought the Mission "Craze" for my youngest Daughter (15 years old) to start out with and if she doesn't stay with it I'm going to have it adjusted to fit my larger size and Hunt Whitetails with it this Fall.I think its pretty cool that I can shoot the very same Bow as my Daughter and have it set to fit me,an older/larger sized Hunter! ;)

Used Bows can have issues and need to be checked out by a good reliable Archery Shop to see if it needs a new string,check the cams and limbs for cracks and have it adjusted to fit a different size Shooter...re-sale on a used Bow are pretty low,with all the different new and better bows an older used Bow is pretty hard to get rid of and they go pretty cheap.

bulltalk 06-23-2012 08:58 AM

As long as you stay with one of the top manufacture's you should be fine, any of the mathews, hoyts, Bear, bowtech, diamond, martin or pse bows will do you well.

like GTO hunter says, I would personally stay away from something used or second hand that hasnt been thouroughly checked out. although the pricing for a good used bow is very reasonable if you find one that doesnt need some work.

Stacknyk 06-23-2012 12:32 PM

Thanks for replies.

Ya i found a used Mathews black max that comes with sight, rest, Mathews quiver for $140. but its set at 30DL and i need 29 but not sure if you can adjust them still looking for info. But GTO brings up a good point about used bows and whatnot. Never heard of the two he mentioned but has got me thinking lol. Looked them up and seem like pretty nice and a plus would be i could adjust it for my girlfriend to use as well. Thanks for pointing them out to me. Gotta be a neat feeling being able to share the bow with your daughter. Gonna go to a couple shops and see if they have those two and try them out.

I found the mathews bow on ebay so only thing i have to go by is pictures and someones word on on it.

GTOHunter 06-23-2012 02:04 PM

If the Bow is set up to a 30" DL I would think You can lower it some to fit Yourself then.

I'm simply thrilled the Mission Bow,for something to be that versital to fit that different of an age group or size of Hunters,my Daughter can grow into it as she gets older,stronger and it can still be adjusted to accomadate Her.I believe it has 80% left off also and comes in assorted colors...I picked the Lost Camo because eventually She will be hunting with it or I will? :D ;)

If You watch enough Hunting Sites and most Guys have to have a new Bow every year or 2 You can pick up a decent Bow for a lot less money!That or bite the bullet and get a new one and simply add on your accessories a little at a time and have a decent warranty to go with it.

BGfisher 06-23-2012 05:55 PM

I don't want to turn you away from Mathews, but you sound like you're a new or soon-to-be shooter. If so then you need to find out what draw length will fit you or at least be close (within 1/2"). Then when you buy a bow make sure that it's adjustable for draw length, either by use of a rotating module or changing the mod itself.

Most Mathews bows are draw length specific, meaning non-adjustable. You can tweak them a bit, about 1/4" + or-, by twisting the string and/or cable, but that's about it. To change 1/2" or more you'd have to find and buy a new cam and sometimes new string and cable. Upwards of $135 + installation.

Hope this helps some.

Stacknyk 06-23-2012 06:35 PM

Yea deffinitly ive been looking around for about months at on different websites just reading and reading more and going to shops n looking and whatnot. My buddy has an old pse nova, he got me really into usuing the bow instead of firearms. Was a blast now just been looking and seeing whats out there.

Oh yea ive seen on archery talk forums theres a bunch of newer bows for sale on there, i think like the first 10 pages are all recent posts pretty wild.

BGfisher-Yea im deff new to the archery world of shooting and havent set my mind on any brand yet, been looking alot at different bows. You gave a better understanding on how there set up. My buddies bow is set at 29 and felt pretty comfortable. I was im an accident 3 years ago and shattered my radial head in my left elbow so i cant fully starighten it out. His was right handed like what i need but been also debating if i should try a left hanged bow or if it really makes that much of a difference. Couple shops say yes and some say doesnt matter. Proly just go with whatever feels best