Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why 100g over 125g Broadheads >

Why 100g over 125g Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why 100g over 125g Broadheads

Old 06-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why 100g over 125g Broadheads

My question concerns these 2 different weight broadheads.Why do so many people use the 100g as compared to the 125g units on the carbon arrows? Or do just as many people use the 125g and I'm just not aware of it.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what percentage use each but both have their fans. 100 grain I guess would give you a little more speed and flatter trajectory while the 125 grain would give you a little bigger cutting area. But the increased cutting area of the 125 vs the 100 is so minor I cannot imagine there would be any noticeable difference in on game performance. More weight can help quiet a bow and aide penetration but what difference 25 grains would make with those last two would be also be minimal. Some claim that 125 grain heads are tougher but I have not seen that in my person experiences.

To me the the 25 grain difference in the two is so minor that any performance difference between the two isn't really worth mentioning.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Spike

I use 100 gr heads because they seem to be more common in my area and also a little larger selection. I also add weight to my inserts to bring the total arrow weight and foc up.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are both babies for my liking; I use 220 gn Muzzy Phantoms.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
They are both babies for my liking; I use 220 gn Muzzy Phantoms.
Does that give you twice as much Kenetic Energy?What arrow do you use that broadhead on?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the media got to most of the folks with "SPEED"!!!
Lighter arrow faster speeds - right?

The funny thing about this is that my buddy had a 1982 Bear when I bought my 1994 PSE.
His shot 175 FPS ( or as I called it SMH - snail movements /hour)
Mine was a flashy 232FPS.

To date he has killed more deer with the slow poke than I did with my speed demon.

Since then we both have newer bows and considering the distances we shoot (15-25 yards) it doesn't make much difference at all...

Shot placement and hunter control does! KE means more to me at these distances along with a good fixed braodhead!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Broadhead weight helps you get the right spine on your arrow. Like others have said you can play with head weight to get better FOC as long as you stay in spine.

Download OT2 for free for 5 days and play around with it. You can enter your set up and the arrow..... you can change everything to see what it does to your set up.

Look at my sig to see what I am shooting. I am shooting .350 spined arrows cut to 27.5", according to OT2 I need to use 125 grain heads to get the perfect spine. 100 gr heads and I am a bit stiff. But using the increased head weight gives me another 3% FOC and I only lose 8fps. I would raither have the FOC than speed

Last edited by sandilands; 07-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are a rifle shooter...... forget what you know. Then learn about archery. The 2 seldom have theories that interchange. IMHO
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
I think the media got to most of the folks with "SPEED"!!!
Lighter arrow faster speeds - right?

The funny thing about this is that my buddy had a 1982 Bear when I bought my 1994 PSE.
His shot 175 FPS ( or as I called it SMH - snail movements /hour)
Mine was a flashy 232FPS.

To date he has killed more deer with the slow poke than I did with my speed demon.

Since then we both have newer bows and considering the distances we shoot (15-25 yards) it doesn't make much difference at all...

Shot placement and hunter control does! KE means more to me at these distances along with a good fixed braodhead!

I think they got us on about 60 percent of the junk we think we need,each year I chuck less junk I was packing. Being new to hunting it's easy to think you gotta have the greatest latest do dad.