Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED? >

GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

Old 09-02-2003, 01:19 PM

Default GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

Okay, I just ordered two dozen Gold Tip, XT, 5575 arrows (.003 Straightness). I spun checked each arrow individually and to my disgust found TWO arrows out of TWENTY FOUR that were straight enough to screw a broadhead on (and those were both borderline)! I told and showed the bow shop what junk these arrows were and they recommended we send them back to the manufacturer (which I agreed). I then tested several carbon arrows that they carried at their shop and eventually purchased a dozen Blackhawk Vapors. I was pretty impressed with these arrows. After grabbing twelve shafts (at random), I spun them and found 6 that were perfectly straight. As a matter of fact, I have since, tuned and fletched those six arrows and shot them with Broadheads. They flew perferctly and were in the EXACT spot as my field points. My problem is - I am shooting with a Trap Door and the arrows are very loud while drawing my bow, i guess due to the coating that they put on these arrows, because my Gold Tips were silent. My question - what carbon arrows are the tuning fanatics like myself using and what are you finding to be the straightest shaft on the market that is durable, quiet and relatively inexpensive in comparison to other shafts?
Old 09-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

what are you finding to be the straightest shaft on the market that is durable, quiet and relatively inexpensive in comparison to other shafts?
They haven' t made them yet...

Until then, ACCs fit the bill. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Not cheap but none much straighter or lighter, All comes down to how fanatical you are, hard to be fanatical on a budget. Check out Carbon Techs Cheeta

http://www.carbon-tech.com/Hunting/h...aster_list.php

Old 09-02-2003, 05:26 PM

Did you test the arrows with inserts installed?.If so were they installed properly. I see alot of shops install inserts without spin testing arrows.I ALLWAYS install my own inserts with either hot melt or slow setting epoxy.

CB
Old 09-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

IME it seems that Goldtip Factory fletched arrows end up being really poor for straightness run-out. Were these factory fletched?

Buying shafts is a much better way to go about things.

For comparison purposes I recieved a dozen XT 55/75 shafts last week. Of the twelve:

9 were very straight as bare shafts: two of them required an inch or so from the nock end to be cut off to yield a extremely straight shaft (.005 to 006- TIR).

2 were of the same excellent straightness when cutting a bit from both ends to make a completed (28" ) shaft

1 was truly poor in quality, and only someone with a very short arrow (25" or less) would be able to chop off enough from both ends to get a straight useable shaft.

I' ll use that one as a tester for setting up my fletching jig.

All in all better straightness than the last 2 dozen Beman ICSH, dozen Blackhawk A/C' s & a dozen Standard CX I' ve bought.

Old 09-02-2003, 06:15 PM

When I found out That my Carbon Impact arrows were made in France, I changed to Gold Tips.......I have not had a problem with them...In fact I believe I like them better...........They all group very well......I bet your problem is the way the inserts are installed...
Old 09-02-2003, 07:05 PM

I shoot the best groups ever with Gold Tips. I spin checked each one
and all look perfect. I have much confidence in the shop I buy them from.
I have had one arrow in two dozen not shoot well and I past that as wrinkled
fletching.
I think you should find another source for your arrows.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:17 PM

I just bought and fletched up some more GT XT Camo arrows.

Cut from both ends - and six were what I would consider " good" .

This was my worst batch yet with 3 of them really bad and 3 of them so-so.

Not that happy - but I am not about to change now. I have a couple dozen that are good.

And spine - hell I couldn' t tell you until I shoot them all. They have our gonads in a vise when it comes to spine.

I sure hope GT does not have a downslide in quality.

I just may concede all these advances to Arthur - and go back to Alum[]
Old 09-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Spike

I found the Gold tips 3d pros a good choice for straightness. like someone said you have to take about 1 to 1 1/2 inches off the nock end i think this would go for any carbon arrow. What about Beman ICS hunters anyone think these shafts are straight?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:33 AM

I don' t get all hung up on the straightness tester for my arrows because I can' t measure the spine and how they are going to react when shot.

My newly aquired Beeman ICS Hunters, after I properly installed broadheads and inserts and spun tested them all grouped within 4" (shot at individual spots) at 40 yards. Considering this was nearly as good as I could do with field points on my old bow I was pretty happy. New bow and these same arrows group less than 3" and I shot off two nocks and ruined 5 fletches before switching to 5 spot targets. Not one of the arrows of the dozen failed my group test.

I ran them through the straightness tester and discovered the best arrow was .002 and the worst .007 after each of them had been fired over 50 times.

Groups matter for me and none of the dozen failed.

Quick Reply: GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.