HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Crossbows in Illinois (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/365997-crossbows-illinois.html)

Kid 06-11-2012 08:24 AM

Crossbows in Illinois

Sounds lilke Crossbow hunting for the masses is coming to Illinois. The way I understand it, Crossbows would be allowed during the regular Archery season beginning the Monday after the second firearm season. Some pushed for the entire Archery season and some for none at all. This is the apparent compromise. The bill awaits the Governor's signature, which he is expected to do. Love em' or hate em', looks like they are coming. Never a dull moment here in good ol' Illinois!

www.outdoornews.com/June-2012/Quinns-signature-would-mean-open-crossbow-hunting-during-part-of-archery-season/

fastetti 06-11-2012 04:14 PM

Not sure how I feel about this. After the second gun season a lot of people only make it out a handful more times due to rut is over, colder, deer are more spooky. I guess some love to bow hunt this time as well. I'm not sure I would want to spend the extra $500 just to have a crossbow for a month and a half. My father uses one since he is past the 62 mark and I'm glad it's legal. He can't pull back a bow and this gives him a lot more time to hunt. We'll see how this is taken by the hunting public.

CVG Ohio 06-17-2012 02:46 PM

That's right about crossbows helping the senior hunter get out to hunt longer than using the compound or longbow. they are legal in Ohio and I am for them. There is alot of mis information about them but hay they help the younger hunters and the senior hunters so that is great in my book. I am moving to the senior division seems like every day and getting closer :)!

CVG Ohio

bookfire1238 06-18-2012 02:02 AM

I incline toward your idea.

Kid 06-19-2012 06:05 AM

Personally, I don't have a problem with Crossbows during the regular archery season. While I don't plan on running out and buying one any time soon, at some point I might get one just to have another toy/option during the late season. If it brings more people into hunting or helps those who may have quit for physical reasons to come back, I say bring em' on! ;)

kateraxl2381 06-19-2012 11:02 PM

I am in the same boat as you all. I have no problem with the law passing, however, due to the time in which you are able to use them, I don't believe I will spend the extra money to purchase a crossbow

thirdhandman 06-20-2012 05:12 AM

Cross bow hunting helps get younger kids into hunting and keeps older and disabled people into hunting. There are some tremendous bucks still coming out of Ohio and they allow any body during the entire archery season to use one. Its not a big deal.
40 years ago the traditional hunters said the same about compound bow hunters. :bash: