Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cost of the hunt.  Would you pay it? >

Cost of the hunt. Would you pay it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cost of the hunt. Would you pay it?

Old 09-02-2003, 08:22 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Cost of the hunt. Would you pay it?

I have a nice spot to hunt on private land this year. Only big enough for 2 or three stands. I will actually be using a climber so I can pick the spot. The owner has requested me to kill any racoons, possum, coyote, or skunk that comes into range. He dislikes the yotes for obvious reasons and the others he named diseases that they can give his horses. I don' t know if that' s accurate but I agreed. I will probably let the skunks walk simply because I don' t wanna mess with them. I really doubt I' ll see a yote or a racoon but if I do I will do my best. I already know what I will do, just wondering if any of you would have a problem with it?

David
Old 09-02-2003, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Cost of the hunt. Would you pay it?

I don`t. Alot of farmers ask hunters to remove pests that are causing damage. I have a couple places that have the rule of all raccoons and all coyotes shot on sight.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it' s legal in VA to take these predators then by all means, they make tough little targets to sharpen your skills on and with the lack of trapping anymore, you' ll help thin out the population not to mention get a couple nice little fur trophy. If it' s not legal....then I wouldn' t recommend it. Explain that to the landowner, I' m sure he' ll respect your ethics.

I think I agree with you about the skunks anyway. []
Old 09-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That' s a steep price to pay... yea right... sign me up!!!

As long as you' re legal, I say go for it. If you manage to get a couple of the critters, they make great home decor after they' ve been tanned.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:02 PM

..... and de-skunked!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:47 PM

If it is legal, you have an outstanding example of a " no-brainer" on your hands.

Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

I might suggest try to take out a critter when you are doing your scouting, so you don' t have to worry about the noise of a shot while you' re waiting for deer. Last year, on the property I hunt, I had a chance to take out a porkie, I decided to wait for a while and watched him eat in my bait pile. I gruntted a couple times to try to scare him off, but what I did was called in two young spikes. I was fortunate enough to take one of them.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:13 AM

I have permission to hunt a ranch in MI each year for whitetail, bear, and turkey. The owner will get a stand ready for me with a little notice. He only has 3 rules.

1. I am not permitted to bring anybody with me.
2. I don' t shoot a deer smaller then an 8 point
3. I shoot all predators on sight.

It is very hard to get access to quality private hunting land, especially out of state. I gladly comply with his requests.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:10 AM

If the animal indicates it is sick and can safely be dispatched and disposed of, fine. If the animal can legally be killed and you have a legitimate use for the hide or other, and you do not engage in overkill, that is righteous. If you kill just to kill, or for some bogus wildlife population control, that is crap! [:@]
Old 09-03-2003, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up on my grampa' s farm and know what kind of damage, and financial costs, these varmints can cause. Varminting was my introduction to bowhunting at a very early age. Like said above, it' s a no brainer. Especially if you use the hides! If nothing else, you can get a lifetime supply of fly tying materials.

Quick Reply: Cost of the hunt. Would you pay it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.