Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie needs advice >

Newbie needs advice

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie needs advice

Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Spike

Default Newbie needs advice

Yesterday, I went out on my first bowhunt. I went to some public land where I can seen a lot of activity. As of now, I do not yet have a treestand, so I sat by a small group of trees near the active spot.

Thankfully I had the wind in my face as I sat. About a half hour after I got in my spot I noticed some movement 150 yards out. A nice doe was feedingand making her way towards me. She got to 75 yards out, but then stopped and appeared to bed. She didn' t get up again until the wind changed on me.

Now, I am used to rifle hunting where she would have been in range to take. Is there a way I can get a deer to come within rage in the early season, or is it just luck when they do?

Old 09-02-2003, 10:10 AM

Default RE: Newbie needs advice

Is there a way I can get a deer to come within rage in the early season
Know your deer, know your woods - set up as many good locations as you can. Thats bowhunting - its tuff - they don' t all walk 15 yds from you and say shoot me. Sounds like a great first hunt to me - I don' t think I saw a deer in my first 20 trips when I started[]. Scout, scout and scout some more

or is it just luck when they do?
Luck has little to do with it - if you put in your work during the long offseason - you will be rewarded.

That rifle will be collecting dust soon
Old 09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I couldn' t agree with Rack more.....scouting is a fundamental key. There have been alot of deer taken with a bow with nothing more than pure luck however, more successful archers rely on skills in scouting, shooting and knowing your woods. Be patient, it' ll pay off for you and welcome to the wonderful world of bowhunting.....like Rack say' s.....the rifle will now be collecting dust.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Turk, That' s bowhunting, and that' s all I can add.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Turk I gun hunted for 30 years before starting to bow hunt seriously, just remember every time you go out you are learning, adjust accordingly. Was there cover near where this doe bedded down? If there was next time you go if the wind is the same set up close to where you saw her bed down. Sometimes you can use a doe bleat to get a doe to come in closer, sometimes it won' t work. One important thing to remember when using a call though is once the deer is coming your way stop calling, otherwise if you keep calling they will back off when they hear a deer and don' t see one where they know by sound there should be one. Take every thing you know about gun hunting and take it to the 9th degree.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Spike

I was very limited on cover for myself, which is why I went to the nearest trees. Mostly the area is open save for the thick grass. I would have got up and slowly got closer, however I was afriad the slightest sound of me stepping in the grass would make her bolt.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Turk you were better off not trying to move on her, as rack and other suggested you may want to put in some more scouting, find out where she was coming from and see if you can find some good cover before where she bedded down.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:24 PM

Welcome to Bow Hunting Turk.........
Now that you know where they are bedding, you can close in on them...May take all year to figure their comings and goings.......If you know where their bedding, you know, more than a lot of hunters..
Old 09-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. Me thinks I will lay off this spot a little longer while I look for just the right place to sit in there.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guys are giving you good advice. Just remember, bowhunting is a real challenge compared to gun hunting, that what makes it so special when everything comes together and you have success! Its a great feeling! If your hunting near or overlooking a field this WILL happen to you many many times. Also don' t make a rookie mistake by watching or focusing on that deer in the field so much that other deer move in on you and you' re not ready, or they bust you!

Good Luck and keep at it!

Quick Reply: Newbie needs advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.