Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

salt block

Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default salt block

I was just wondering when everyone puts out a salt block . Im just doing this hoping to draw more deer in the area.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Spike

I have put new salt blocks out 2 weeks ago. If you put one out now, you will have to replace in the middle of summer, but it keeps the deer at your place
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Might be better to put out a big mineral block like they use for cattle. Fairly inexpensive and might give you the advantage of better antler growth.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

I put one out last year near the edge of a field and someone stole it go figure hey
I want to do it again but closer to my new stand which is in the woods does any one think it is a good idea or where is the best spot to put one?
Treebeard
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buy two 50 lb bags of rock salt every two years an pour out. I have had this salt lick there for about 10 years. They start hitting it around April 1st or so. Depends on when it starts to warm up. They will hit it to up along September or so.

Last edited by AR Bowhunter; 06-12-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

salt licks/blocks are best put out in early spring. the deer will hammer them in the spring through the summer. once the fall get's here, they lay off of them until the upcoming spring again. they will still use them year around, just not as much during the fall and winter.

i make my own licks using 2 parts loose trace minerals (red kind), 1 part DiCal Phosphate and 1 part salt.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

I use sweet spot.. I put it out 2 weeks before turkey season and in one week i got 65 trail cam pic. I just want back out on fathers day and they have a 5" deep hole and its about 3' round.. so i refushed it up and put my camera back out..
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Has anyone tried deer cocaine? I was at the store today and they didn't having any blocks there so i started looking at other things .
Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually set out a 50lb salt block and the Deer hit it year round I also do the same as AR Bowhunter and put out the rock salt too....it goes in the ground quicker and can't be stolen or packed off like a big Ol salt block!

Another thing we do is put out an Arm & Hammer Salt lick.You take a shovel and dig up the ground in a 3x3 or 4x4 circle busting up the dirt as fine as You can then take a box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and spread about 1/2 of it on the dirt,then spread about 20-30 lbs of Rock salt on top then pour the rest of the A&H on top and let the rain work it into the ground.Theres something in the A&H that enhances the salt and the Deer will hit it even more than plain salt.Some times I will also add some "Lucky Buck" mineral to the Lick to help with the Antler Growth on the Bucks!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try some di-calcium phosphate, trace mineral salt and dried molasses, drives the deer wild and deters those pesky coons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.