Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes kids hunting w/them? >

Who takes kids hunting w/them?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes kids hunting w/them?

Old 08-29-2003, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who takes kids hunting w/them?

We usually don' t stay very long, as soon as he gets bored we get down and got to the truck. We hunt out of a 15' tower blind so he can move around a little bit. We usually bring a couple of toys and a coloring book, and some snacks. I don' t try to force it on him, he' s just happy being out in the woods with dad...probably not as happy as dad is though
David hit the nail right on the head!
The main things are ....don' t force them...don' t stay too long. I take my son (6yrs old in Nov) and have for the last 2 seasons (during gun season only). We go out in the afternoons when the temps are decent, and stay until he' s ready to go. He' s always had fun, and always asks when we can go again. I gave him his own set of binoculars, and that occupies him pretty well. Something to eat and drink is a must as well. Looking forward to this year for sure!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:43 AM

you guys are right!! anyone who doesnt tkae his kids becuasee he is afraid of what he might miss has already missed the point! Letting kids go at the ownpace is the BEST!

my 7 year old has been for three years and this year will get to carry his on little bear bow. He will never get a shot but he is so excited to go! and feel part of the action! When he is tired we are done!

Good luck ALL!1
Old 08-29-2003, 02:20 PM

I started taking my boy with me at age 6. He will sit in a ground blind all day if we are seeing animals. If the hunt is slow I keep a game boy in my pack to help keep him going.

Im proud to say he wants to sit until o-dark-thirty because he is afraid we will miss something if we don' t!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:05 PM

I have taken my grandson for years now but he thinks he' s gettin to be too big for his britches....he' s almost 17 and too busy with the girls. I have enjoyed his company though!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:21 PM

Good Stuff!
I have a five yr. old who' s been asking. I guess I know the answer.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 12:45 AM

My oldest started squirrel hunting with me at about three and a half, sitting in a ground blind while bow hunting the same year, helping me chase English setters after pheasants the following year along with his own treestand.Last year ,at the age of ten, he took his first two whitetails with a bow.His little brother, now three, gets to start his hunting carear this fall.(he started shooting a longbow this summer). Now I can' t imagine spending time in the woods without them.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started my oldest when he was 8 (now 18). I took him turkey hunting in Western MD and it poured rain on us and we saw and heard nothing. He was a trooper though and never complained and we left early. He took his first deer with a bow at age 14 (it scored 128 even) and now is more interested in girls than hunting. []

My youngest (now 12), loves to go out with me and wants to kill a deer himself, but his proficiency needs to improve a bit before I let him try.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:23 AM

I started taking my kids with me when they were 4 or 5 yrs old. My daughter is now 18 and my son is 16.

My son is an avid hunter now. He has taken deer with bow, rifle, and muzzleloader. Bowhunting is his favorite means of hunting.

My daughter goes with me on occasion but she does not hunt. She just likes to sit with me and read while I' m on stand.

The times we spend together hunting are some of my favorite and most memorable.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take my 13 year old brother w/ me every chance I get!