Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arguments for/against flashlights and deer? >

Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

Old 08-27-2003, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

Since I Don' t Have night vision, i use a flashlight...except on moonlit nights...
I' ve been using one of those led headlamps that has red l.e.d. lamps and I really like it...it doesn' t mess up your night vision. My buddy used on of those streamlight stylus penlights and said it worked great and didn' t spook deer either...
I got one at a turkey banquet so I' ll probably try it... I think using a small amount of light to see by is better than stumbling around in the dark or putting out an eye.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 08-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use one sparingly, I' m afraid of the dark
Old 08-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use one sparingly also. More so when there are other hunters in the parking lot though I' m usually the first one in. Don' t want to be confused with a deer. Never heard of a deer carrying a light.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I would be deathly afraid of walking into the woods without using a flashlight. If you hunted where I do then you would be toting a camp lantern on your back and holding a 500,000 candlepower rechargeable spotlight in your hand as there are too many trigger happy hunters in my neck of the woods....specifically during rifle season.

Ok, I exaggerate a little...but only a little. I always carry some form of light source when walking into and out of the woods...even in twilight as I feel it is definitely a safety issue....not to mention too many twisted ankles from groundhog holes.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I use a red stylus pen light, I shine it on the ground when I`m walking thru
the woods, but when I`m walking along the edge of the corn I leave it off
mostly but flick it on every few feet or so just for the safety factor.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:47 AM

I use a flashlight with a red lens cover. It lets me see enough to avoid making a ruckus going to and from my stand.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:29 AM

No choice here. To many poisonous snakes and gators to walk up on in the dark.
I carry a flashlight. Hasnt hurt my success. At least I think it hasnt?!??..[:-]
Old 08-28-2003, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a light ass little as possible. As long as you aren' t waving it around like you are landing planes, I little bit of light shining on the ground isn' t going to hurt things.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

benhuntin, suppose you stumble upon a gator WITH a flashlight. Does that make it any better? I feel fortunate that the baddest thing in the woods here is a coyote...and they run away from you. Anyway, I always carry a flashlight w/ extra batteries...ALWAYS! It' s just a little mag light, but it does the job.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:11 AM

I have one in my pack, but I rarely use it either. By the time archery season gets here, I know the path to my stand with my eyes closed, every puddle, limb and briar. Now only if I could vacuum up all the fallen leaves that announce my presence to the world no mater how softly I walk it would be perfect!

Quick Reply: Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.