Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Beginning Bowhunter >

Beginning Bowhunter

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beginning Bowhunter

Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default Beginning Bowhunter

I just recently got into bow hunting. I started last year, I have a Hoyt Pro-Hawk Max-1 bow.

I did shoot a tall 8-point the first time I was in the stand. It was about a 21 yd. shot, looked perfect, about an inch behind the shoulder, and heard it hit, saw blood come out. Me and a buddy of mine followed the blood trail for about a mile and a half, and didn't find the arrow. It was a great blood trail. At about 2 miles approx., there was the arrow. The arrow was very bloody, had the lung blood bubbles on it, it was bright red and everything. On both sides of the deer on the ground was about a foot wide spay of blood. We followed this trail for another half mile or so, and then the blood trail just stopped. Never found the deer.

I know this stuff happens, but it was a real shoot down the first time shooting at a deer with a bow. I hope I'll have better luck this season.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Spike

sounds like you kept pushing the deer. prolly should have giving it some time to die before tracking.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

That sucks, but then again we have all had our moments. Dont get too frustrated though, try to think of different ways of practice to overcome those kind of curcumstances like for instance, shoot targets from an elevated position or shoot with all your gear that you would wear hunting in the early season and late season. It is easy to give up after your first and lost deer with a bow but keep your chin up and keep your nose to the grind stone. Good things come to those who learn from their mistakes and make the correct changes. Adapt and overcome is one of the key principles to bowhunting and many other things in life. I am sure next season will be better. good luck
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the reality of bowhunting, like bigdog13 stated you pushed the deer more then likely. I teach a bowhunting class to young people in my area and I always tell them no matter how well they think the shot was give the deer 30 min. to an 1 hour before picking up the bloodtrail. If they get to a spot and find a pile of blood and then more of a trial back out a little longer. Don't let this get you down it is just part of a great sport. Good Hunting.