Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting and ATC' s >

Hunting and ATC' s

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting and ATC' s

Old 08-25-2003, 09:01 PM

Default Hunting and ATC' s

Arizona has no restricion on ATC use during hunting season. This really seems to sour the hunting on public land (which most of the state is). The only way to avoid the hunter on a 4 wheeler is to back pack into quiet areas which are closed to all vehicle traffic.

Road hunting is illegal here, but the law is vague and hard to enforce. A hunter on 4 wheeler can claim he is heading to camp, or to a hunting spot and get out of the ticket.

Does your state limit ATC use?

Old 08-25-2003, 09:15 PM

Default RE: Hunting and ATC' s

They limit them is some areas in Alaska, but not many.

However, in the defense of ATV users (myself included) it is an economical way to get to areas that are way too far off the road to hike. It' s not like you can haul a caribou or moose out on your back in one trip. Getting more than 10 miles off the highway is impossible without some sort of transportation and alot of folks like myself cannot afford airplanes or boats.

I tend to use my ATV to haul in my camp and leave it there. I hunt on foot and pack out my kills to a place the ATV can reach them. We are blessed with a lot more space and fewer hunters up here, so the conflicts are minimized.

Hunting is one of my passions. The other is motorized off road recreation. There is plenty of room for both on public lands and plenty of Wilderness and Forest Service areas closed to ORV use to satisfy non-motorized recreationists and hunters.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn' t be able to get to my huntin spots if not for my Big Bear. I have a bad back and can' t walk very far. but, I understand what your sayin. there' s places in Ar on public land that ATV' s are not allowed(walk in areas) yet, they still use their 4 wheelers to get in and out. they just don' t enforce the law in those places. the NWR I hunt in allows 4-wheelers anywhere as long as you stay on the trails. you have to have a disabled permit(which I have) to get off the trails, but the coon hunters don' t pay the law any attention, they go all through the woods on their 4-wheelers, again, they don' t enforce the law.[:' (]
Old 08-26-2003, 05:00 PM

Im all for the hunter using the 4 wheeler to get to and from a hunting area, and especially any hunter with a disabled plate.

I do not think the hunter on a 4 wheeler driving the edge of a field, or checking tanks for track an hour before dark during season is very considerate, or ethical.

Of course thats just an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...