Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

25 inch draw??

Old 08-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default 25 inch draw??

Howdy all.
I have been thinkn about getting into bow hunting. I went and got measured for a bow. Frist off i' am 42 years old. I have short arms which of course leave me with a short draw of 25 inchs. 2nd i find out that i have to shoot left handed. Is it worth it for me to get a short draw? Will it be enough speed to get out to a good distance for shooting. Or will it be to slow to hunt with?

I would enjoy bow hnting as it would allow me to hunt earlier and longer.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:48 PM

Default RE: 25 inch draw??

Nicholal,

I' m 47 and just got into it last year. I have a PSE Firestorm Lite set at about 25 1/2 and 58 pounds. Plenty fast. So I would say yes, go for it.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:58 PM

With todays bows you can get plenty of speed to take a whitetail, and anything else you want for that matter. You probably won' t be shooting 2" mechanicals or pushing 300 fps but neither of those things has anything to do with being able to hunt and take game. Choose your bow and broadheads wisely. Bowtech gets pretty darn good speed which is helpful when you are limited in draw length. Truthfully though ANY bow made in the last couple years will give you more then enough to get the job done. I would worry more about being able to make a clean shot rather then speed or distance.

Why do you HAVE to shoot left handed?? Are you left handed? or were you told that because of eye dominance? or something else? You sound surprised and a little disappointed, like you weren' t expecting to shoot lefty.

As far as GOOD distance is concerned I would say that if you are just starting now and planning to hunt this year you will find that 20 yards will most likely be your max range of reliable accuracy..........even that could be a stretch, depending how much you practice. So I wouldn' t worry too much about taking any long range shots.......one step at a time........too many bad things can happen when you start flinging arrows at long ranges.

In summary,

It' s WAAAAAAAAY worth it!!!! Time is running pretty thin though so I suggest that you make a decision one way or the other very soon because if you get a bow and want to hunt this year you have your work cut out for you.

Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

To the lefty shooting yes i was told i' m left eye domanate. And yes it was disapointing as used lefthand bows are harder to find. But I have found one but wont be able to get it til after hunting season so I' ll have plenty of time to pratice at the in door range
But YES im going to get it for sure!!
Old 08-23-2003, 06:17 AM

i' m 42 i don' t shoot left handed but i do have a 26 inch draw and shoot at 55 lbs , i have bad shoulders!

Old 08-23-2003, 09:41 AM

Man I would have to get a second opinion if I were you on that lefty bit. I myself am left eye dominant and have no problem shooting righty. I seriously think you are much better off being comfortable and coordinated with your draw and hold then eye dominance. Eye dominance is great if you are going to be a competitive shooter and require hair splitting accuracy.........but to put an arrow through a deer I really think it is overblown IMO.

I have found that shooting with both eyes open can cause problems with cross eye dominance but that doesn' t effect me because I keep my left eye shut.

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2003, 07:39 PM

My wife has a 25" draw length. She shoots a versacam Ultratec at 42LBS, and cx100 arrows with 85 grn. heads. She gets 226 fps. That doesn' t sound like much but, she has a 50-60 lb bow waay detuned till she gets her strength back from being pregnant. Funny thing is I have a PSE Nova dual cam at 65LBS shooting 2312' s at 27.5" . Speed 224. Now that bow destroyed two center section targets at 30 yds. My wifes bow is lesser drawlength, and weight, but trajectories and speeds are the same. More than enough to get the job done! Don' t sweat it!