HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   New bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/358410-new-bow.html)

bow hunter 2 02-10-2012 11:45 AM

New bow

Hey guys first new thread for me. But I am new to bow hunting and was just wondering, what kind of bow I should get to start out with as well as arrow heads. I will be hunting deer in White Run.

HDMontana 02-10-2012 06:08 PM

Welcome to the site. Are you looking for a compound or traditional bow? Either way, you need to go to an archery shop and shoot some different bows. Each bow may have a different feel when holding, drawing and shooting. Don't get caught up in a this company is better than that company, buy one that you can shoot well and like the feel of. They all offer a lifetime warranty and will stand behind their product. There have been a lot of new bow threads lately with some good input from site members. Take a look at some of those for some good advice overall. Any other questions then don't be afraid to ask.

sdhunter11 02-11-2012 05:31 PM

X2 on HDMontana, Most archery shops are more than willing to let you shoot different bows and help you find one that fits you and your budget. I myself am a mathews man but i did shoot the hoyt vector 32 and it was a pretty amazing bow. Just some food for thought if it fits in your budget. Good luck.

36fan 02-11-2012 06:02 PM

Go to an archery store and check out what they have, check reviews on the bows you like, then make a decision. I recomend checking out Mission bows. They are Mathews "affordable" line. I just got a Mission Riot and love it. It is has a draw length that is adjustable from 19-30" and 15-70 lb draw weight, and a lifetime warranty. In a few years I can adjust it down for my kids and get another new bow for me ;-)

As for broadheads, you wil have to decide if you want a fixed blade or mechanical. I use 3 blade Muzzys (fixed blade). I recomend fixed blades for beginers - it's one less thing you have to worry about going wrong.

HDMontana 02-12-2012 02:50 PM

I also shoot fixed blade broadheads. Slick tricks are my favorite and they are very affordable.

bow hunter 2 02-13-2012 09:34 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I have another question, what do you guys carry if you encounter something unexpected on the hunt? I was thinking a .357 or .44 with hand loaded hot loads. What do you suggest?

bronko22000 02-13-2012 11:41 AM

As far as carrying, check your local state laws. I carry a compact M&P in .40 S&W. Not for 4 legged critters but for 2 legged ones that may mean to do me harm. You never know when you're going to run into a pot grower or meth lab out in the sticks. PA realized this and has allowed carry for protection with proper permit during archery season for a couple years now.

doetrain 02-13-2012 11:53 AM

Check out the PSE Stinger G3,I'm considering getting one to replace my old bow this year,I've heard nothing but good about them and they are reasonable in price. I like PSE X Weave Arrows with Grim Reaper Broadheads. As others have said get out and see what feels good to you and what you can afford.

HDMontana 02-13-2012 12:36 PM

I carry a 45 auto. So far here in Montana I have not had to rely on it but from articles I have read, just discharging a large caliber is enough to turn most, I said most not all, bears. I use to carry a ruger 44 mag but was just to heavy.

jwatts 02-13-2012 04:23 PM

I would possibly look into the Martin line. Very comfortable, low price. As everyone said, look for something that fits you nice. A bow with a 7"+ brace height shall be a little more comfortable to shoot, possibly helping your accuracy. I'm actually in the market for a new bow myself. Good luck and keep us posted. Oh, with the pistol. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. I always have mine on me.