Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Bow!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Spike

Default First Bow!

Wow...I just scored my first bow ever. Grew up as a kid hunting but never took up a bow. I vowed that if I ever started back hunting I would learn to hunt with a bow. I started back this past season with my 8 year old and we shot 4 deer and had a great time.

I just got my first bow tonight. A 2011 PSE Bow Madness MP loaded. Used at an indoor range only. A $700 package for $465. I'm pumped!

Cant wait to get it!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats,

spend some time at your local shop and get some help setting it up with the proper arrows proper setup for your rest, sight, peep, ect ect. and have someone help you learn the correct form.

practice practice practice, your going to be using muscles you didn't know you had so spend all yr slinging arrows when you can.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

X2 on what KK said. Congrats and enjoy. Also ask away if you have questions.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Spike

Wow, you got a heck of a deal. I love my PSE.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Spike

Thanks. I do plan to go to my local shop and have them set me up. I've already talked with them and they know I'm coming. And yes, I know I have ALOT of practicing to do. Fortunately, I have a big field behind my house that I can set up yard markers and just practice practice practice.

Funny story, I went to my local Bass Pro last weekend to look and I told the guy I had never even drawn back a CB. He got me set up and I couldn't even draw the thing back. He back down on the draw weight and yes, only after a few draws, I was sore the next day.

But I've got all year to get ready!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Don't be surprised if your draw weight is low starting off. This isn't a contest. Draw with what your capable of pulling being smooth and not dropping a testicle over.

Shoot some and let your arm and shoulder rest a couple days. Also do some stretching before shooting.

Once your in the woods and go to shoot a deer you need to be capable doing so on a possible cold morning where your muscles are cool from resting. Draw back hold and pull off that one fatal shot. Once the season is close I will go outside and sling one arrow for giggles.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

What KK said is spot on. I experienced the cold muscles situation many years ago when I got caught up in the, shooting extra high poundage, phase. Buck of a lifetime came in under my stand in late November. I had been sitting in the negative temperatures too long. When he finally presented a shot, I couldn't pull by bow past break over. I would never have believed it since I had no problems shooting it in warmer temperatures. Shortly there after I got a bow 10 lbs draw lighter and have not had a problem since. So like KK said, start out at a lighter, comfortable poundage because as your muscles start to build up, you will be able to slowly increase it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Spike

Yep...that's exactly what I plan to do. I got a 50-60# Bow Madness so I can start at 50 and max out at 60 and hopefully still get 300fps out of it.

Thanks...keep the advise coming
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Spike

Along with the cold temperatures, you have to think about the bulkiness of the clothing you could be wearing, which will give you less range of motion. Therefore making it harder to draw back. Also, practice drawing, holding it there for a minute or so, then release the arrow. You never know when you may draw on a buck, not have a good shot, then he looks at you forcing you to freeze before you can let your draw down. This will help not only your pulling arm get stronger, but will make your front shoulder stronger too by having to hold the bow straight out.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you are on the right track. Archery and bow hunting will provide you years of enjoyment if started out the proper way. And again, don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the site and although opinions can vary at times, you will get some good advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.