Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Land Question

Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Land Question

Quesiton for people that know more about this than I do.
I'm looking into buying some hunting ground in Southeastern Kansas. It's approximately $1750/acre. Is that a good price? Bad price? I like the piece but don't want to over/underbid on my offer. I've never bought property before so any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

In any negotiation, you never know how low an offer would have been accepted until it is turned down. What harm is there in making a low offer? If the answer is "no", you know where you stand. There are too many things that factor into land values to go into, but if I were to buy hunting land, I'd want it to abut other land that has no obvious likelihood of being developed in the near future. It does not have to provide all of the deer's requirements. For example, it may not have a lot to offer in the way of feed, but it may be the best bedding area around. Or the opposite may be true. Either can work for you. I would want to know what kind of hunting goes on on the properties nearby. Also consider whether you can be on the property enough to deal with trespassers, because many times that can be an issue. Good luck with it.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by stuckinLA
Quesiton for people that know more about this than I do.
I'm looking into buying some hunting ground in Southeastern Kansas. It's approximately $1750/acre. Is that a good price? Bad price? I like the piece but don't want to over/underbid on my offer. I've never bought property before so any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
as other stated,
lots of factors in land prices,

you could have 1 lot for $2000/acre
then right down the road another for $1000/acre
land itself, size, timber value, farmland, how much of it is buildable,
bordering lots, any specific features,
easements, water quality,
really comes down to what its worth to you,
if you looked at other lots should know where this lot stands,

even someone who knows land prices in the area may not be able to tell you if thats a good or bad price without knowing details
Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. This was helpful.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is to make use of the local USDA Offices. In Illinois we have the Farm Service Agency and the Soil and Water Conservation District. I assume since these are Federal Offices, they are in Ks too.

Besides being a wealth of information. You can get maps, equipment, seed, trees, CRP money (maybe), cost share with other programs such as WHIP, EQIP, Acres for Wildlife, etc. I used to get free corn, beans, milo, trees, and sunflowers.

My biggest headache with land ownership was getting help. I had plenty of friends willing to hunt. But, when it came time to buy fertilizer, seed, plant, mow, hang stands, trim lanes, etc. they all had other plans. If I ever do it again, I am going to buy with two or three other hunters which will bring its' own set of headaches.

I can't help with prices in Ks. Realtors, neighbors, the www, and the USDA sure can tho.