Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need your help!!! >

Need your help!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need your help!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Spike

Default Need your help!!!

I have posted a few times and I hope I get some input on this matter. I have looked through several reviews and watched a lot of videos and I have my two choices in bows. I am hoping I can get your thoughts between the two.

The first is the Bowtech Assassin

and the 2nd is the Hoyt Rampage XT

I know the names I just have never shot either of them.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

If those are the 2 you have selected as your final choices I recommend you shoot both if possible and see which one feels better to you.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:20 AM
Spike

How much should I buy into the IBO on these bows?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ckeifer
How much should I buy into the IBO on these bows?
Use the IBO ratings only for comparison between the two bows. Do not be disappointed if the bow you choose never achieves such speed. Virtually nobody shoots a bow set up as the factory does for speed ratings. Common hunting setups might get as much as 40-50 fps less.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Spike

My other issue is that the bow shop down the street will not unzip tie the bows and at least let me draw them. Should I go elsewhere, or is this how most bow shops are?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

I take Ibo stats with a grain of salt. They use a super light arrow and nothing on the string with the bow maxed in poundage and draw to achieve it. Sorta similar to car company's using crank HP unsteady of rear tire HP numbers.

I am going to have a dloop and peep on my string along with some cat whiskers.

My hunting arrow weighs 417 grains. I use an arrow calculator to find what setup gives me the most fps as well as kenetic energy for hunting.

Normally anything over 300 Ibo will be enough to kill anything in the lower 48.

Shoot both and buy what feels nice to you. If given the choice to use a harsh drawing fast bow or a smoother slower bow.. I would take the smoother bow.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

Go elsewhere if they won't let you shoot it.

Never draw a bow without an arrow in it. Accidents happen and you don't want a bow blowing up in your face.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly, If he won't let you shoot it go elsewhere. If anything, he should have demo bows to shoot. I would have told him that you were taking your money and making a purchase elsewhere.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Like others have said, they should let you shoot it if you're going to buy it. My local shop will let you shoot them if you're seriously looking. Also if you buy you get an hour of range time with one of the owners who will set everything up and sight the bow in for you and let you shoot. It's a big help to first time owners or people who don't know how to set up or tune their bow. If a shop won't be helpful, find someone who will.
-Jake
Old 01-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

I would agree that you should shoot both of them and see which one fits you. I have a Assassin and its shooting IBO right on the money. It does have an aftermarket string and was tuned good but I was surprised because it has the stock silencers, d-loop, and kisser button. From everybody I have talked to theirs are achieving IBO or close to it also. Same thing goes for the Hoyt. I don't think you could go wrong with either one but pick the one that feels good in your hands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.