Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Treestand height for archery >

Treestand height for archery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand height for archery

Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

15-16 feet is alot higher than most people think. I usually go about 15 feet and that's plenty high enough for me not to be noticed.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Usally I am 15-20' up with climber or hang on. I have a few places that are only about
12 feet up but that is where the cover is and it works for my situation..
Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

15-20 ft depending on various factors..... For the most part, I like being higher - just not a huge fan of heights so I have to kinda force myself....
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

20 to 30 feet depending on cover. Remember to practice from said height because of shot angle differences.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I think you just need to try a comfortable height for you. The deer will let you know if you are high enough. If you keep getting busted, move your stand a little higher. Of course once a deer does catch you, they will be looking for you next time in same tree. Where I use to hunt in Iowa I swear the deer would fall in a hole if you dug one in the trail since they all seem to walk around looking up.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Spike

Like bronko said, depends on the cover. Here in the northeast I usually sit about 14 feet. Any higher and the tree cover blocks out most shooting lanes. I will even sit at ten feet if that's where I have the best shots. Situations dictate the height, and only experience will be the best answer.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

My lowest stand is 22 foot and that is a skyscraper ladder stand. When im in a climber I never sit anything less than 25 foot moslty for scent control and cover. I very seldom get pick off while hunting. Although the most important thing is sit at a height were you feel comfortable and safe!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

All depends on cover and background. One of my best stands is a 15 ft ladder with a 6 ft diameter oak behind me. The deer come in right up to the bottom of the stand but with the solid background I have yet to be busted. I prefer putting my stands on or close to Oaks. They hold their leaves well past hunting season in my area and keep my covered up quite well. If you are using hang ons or ladders, I'd pick trees that have branches going in all directions. Oaks are really good for that with knots and such on them. If you are using a climber I'd rec'd going a little bit higher since you wont have the limbs to be breaking up your cover. If you can find some cedars or smaller oaks near some bigger trees that is your best bet. I love cedars in front of my stand, they really help you blend in. Just my two cents....
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I always determined

the height by the amount of tree leaves on the branches I was hiding in, in the tree.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have noticed a lot of people dont set there stand height appropriate to the distance of the shot.
Some guys always hunt high, or always hunt low rather than thinking about where they are best concealed, have the proper air current, and most of all, where they will perform the best shot placement.
The higher you are in the tree, and the closer you are to the deer, the more severe of an angle, and the more likely to achieve a dreaded "one lung hit"....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.