Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are there any protocol for spending the night in the forest? >

Are there any protocol for spending the night in the forest?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are there any protocol for spending the night in the forest?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Spike

Default Are there any protocol for spending the night in the forest?

Dear friends,

I don't know much about hunting, but I am doing research for one article about some basic things, and I have one question that is still bothering me.

If we consider hypothetically that hunter is bow hunting in large wood (dears, bears etc) and that unfortunately he finds himself at the end in the middle of the forest. It is becoming more and more dark, so there is no option for him to return to his camp or to his colleagues who are very far away at the moment. I am wondering - is there any protocol for a hunter that it is advisable for him to follow up in that situation? What is the next common best thing that he will probably do until the morning?

Thanks anyone who can help me in that dilemma?

Leonardo
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

If he is without a light; compass and/or a GPS unit, he'd do best to just sit still where he is and wait for either help to arrive....or, daylight.

Things happen. But, I'm sure you've heard the old saying RE: an ounce of prevention.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

With the clothes a hunter wears in the woods, it would be a peice of cake sleeping in the woods. Not much worst than being in the doghouse after the wife is pissed.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
With the clothes a hunter wears in the woods, it would be a peice of cake sleeping in the woods. Not much worst than being in the doghouse after the wife is pissed.

How many times have you had to do that FM.. (the doghouse thing)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
How many times have you had to do that FM.. (the doghouse thing)
Degrees of disgust and distain. It makes the marriage that much easier once you know just how your wife measures the marriage.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Spike

Thanks so much for the replies.
I am also interested - where is then the best place to sleep in the middle of forest, especially if the region has bears there. Are there any protocols how to choose a place to sleep and where to sleep? What is the most advisable location for sleeping in that situation?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

To be honest with you I try at all times to sleep in a nice bed in a hotel.. Now if were in the forest, I wouldn't have a problem at all as long as you keep a nice fire going that should keep wildlife out of the area... And make sure no food or traces of food is left out.

Put the fire completely out when leaving.. not only will it keep you from starting a forest fire, I will keep you from getting a nice fine if you get caught!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Spike

Order of importance:

1. Find shelter (fallen tree branches, under pine trees, any protection from the elements)
2. Find food & water (always bring matches, lighter for a fire to cook, stay warm, etc.)
3. Stay put (the more you more, the harder it is for people to find you)
Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Joot
Order of importance:

1. Find shelter (fallen tree branches, under pine trees, any protection from the elements)
2. Find food & water (always bring matches, lighter for a fire to cook, stay warm, etc.)
3. Stay put (the more you more, the harder it is for people to find you)
This is the correct answer
Stay put ,shelter and get warm with a fire
Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago, I bought a survival knife with magnesium strip, fish hooks, fishing line and stitching needle in the handle. I carry this knife when I go hunting (even on my own property).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.