Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are there any protocol for spending the night in the forest? >

Are there any protocol for spending the night in the forest?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are there any protocol for spending the night in the forest?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies. Considering the situation and conditions mentioned above, how much is common for a hunter with a bow to spend a night on a tree? Could you say it is often decision in the hunter's mindset or you have never heard that in similar situation hunter would go to actually sleep on a tree?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by forestvision
Thanks for all the replies. Considering the situation and conditions mentioned above, how much is common for a hunter with a bow to spend a night on a tree? Could you say it is often decision in the hunter's mindset or you have never heard that in similar situation hunter would go to actually sleep on a tree?
I'd say spending the night in a tree chances are pretty slim. I have fallen asleep in a tree stand before, but I ALWAYS wear a safety harness when hunting from a tree.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. Ok I am working on a case where hunter allegedly has been lost from his buddies during hunting. He found himself in the woods. Prior to that there was some news coverage in the area about dangerous bears so hunter decided to spend the night on a tree with his bow that he used to make a better balance. When confronted with the skepticism about that story this was an argument for choosing a tree for sleep - quoting:

"It's a common tactic for a hunter, who is separated from other members of his party who is in a dark wooded area like this alone to pick a place for shelter, if not on the tree, then perhaps some another shelter, rock outcropping or something in order to be safe from predators. So this is not out of ordinary at all."

Is there any credibility in that explanation choosing a tree for a sleep (taking possible danger from bears in account)? What do you think based on your experience?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. Ok I am working on a case where hunter allegedly has been lost from his buddies during hunting. He found himself in the woods. Prior to that there was some news coverage in the area about dangerous bears so hunter decided to spend the night on a tree with his bow that he used to make a better balance. When confronted with the skepticism about that story this was an argument for choosing a tree for sleep - quoting:

"It's a common tactic for a hunter, who is separated from other members of his party who is in a dark wooded area like this alone to pick a place for shelter, if not on the tree, then perhaps some another shelter, rock outcropping or something in order to be safe from predators. So this is not out of ordinary at all."

Is there any credibility in that explanation choosing a tree for a sleep (taking possible danger from bears in account)? What do you think based on your experience?

I never heard of someone choosing sleeping in a tree as shelter,

maybe if your in the swamps a tree might be the driest place to find,

i cmp out in the east where no threat of brown bears, only black bears which are very skiddish of people,

they only come around and can be a nuisance/threat when food is an issue.

i hang my food +100 yds from my camp site,

what i pack for my outings will vary depending on how far/long i plan on being out,

basics i carry, knife, first aid kit, firestarter, compass, map if i can,
some food,

how much of each will vary, first aid kit is smaller than a pack of smokes, for firestarter i usually have drier lint and matches in multiple places, on me, in my pack etc.... when packing a larger pack for longer outings will have a candle in there,

i also try to practice things like building a branch shelter, and firestarting,( i suck at firestarting), when i can, and in different weather conditions.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Talking One thing, and one thing only.....

Dear friends,

I don't know much about hunting, but I am doing research for one article about some basic things, and I have one question that is still bothering me.

If we consider hypothetically that hunter is bow hunting in large wood (dears, bears etc) and that unfortunately he finds himself at the end in the middle of the forest. It is becoming more and more dark, so there is no option for him to return to his camp or to his colleagues who are very far away at the moment. I am wondering - is there any protocol for a hunter that it is advisable for him to follow up in that situation? What is the next common best thing that he will probably do until the morning?

Thanks anyone who can help me in that dilemma?

Leonardo
FIRE!!!! Look for an opening in the canopy about an hour and a half before dark. Collect what would be about 2 weeks worth of firewood, and build a massive bonfire in the center of the opening and park it right there, do not move. When daylight comes around, go out and collect another 2 weeks of firewood, because what you collected yesterday/evening is gone. In that collection for the day, make sure you get a lot of green leafed and/or pine boughs to burn throughout the day. You want to create as much "smoke" during the day fire as you can, because that is what the air assets will be looking for. Repeat each morning and evening until they come and save your behind. When you get home, learn how to read a compass and topo map. BTW, next time, don't forget to pack afore mentioned compass and topo map, magnifying glass, mirror in your "DAY PACK" before your next trip. Good Luck!!!

Last edited by tight360; 01-12-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Talking

Fire is better, you can fall out of a tree, and black bear will climb a tree in a heartbeat if they feel you are a threat (Sow w/ cubs). You have a bonfire, they know you are there, you can't surprise them, 99.9% of the time they will avoid you.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Spike

I know the aera I hunt very well. My friend and I and our oldest sons a few yrears back packed out a elk. We didnt get back to camp till after 10 pm. I wouldnt recommend doing this but if you know the right trails it isnt that bad after your eyes get acustom to the night.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

My suggestion is pretty much the same. Shelter and fire most important. Hopefully it won't rain that night so somewhere out of the wind if you can find it. Or build a small shelter toprotect you from the wind. Some handy items you should always have is a lighter (of something to start a fire with), some fire starter (a 35mm film container with vaseline soaked cotton balls is light and easy to carry) and some parachute cord which is also light. Also, some quick energy snacks (granola bars, etc.) and water. These three items don't take up much space and can save you form an uncomfortable night. I would advise you that if you believe there may be a chance that you are going to be staying the night that you let your firends know. But be sure to make it back by the following evening before they start looking for you.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

I always carry a survival kit and a first aid kit with me.....depending on how cold it is i might make a fire or might just bundle up (if its cold weather hunting you are usually dressed for it, the temps arent going to drop much below what it was that morning or late evening, so if you were warm then youd be warm overnight). Depending on which treestand i had, i might set it a couple feet off the ground and sleep in it with my harness holding me in. Honestly i cant imagine a situation where i would find myself having to sleep in the woods, i always know my area, carry gps and flashlights.....just dont see a scenario where id sleep in the woods vs walking my way out, even if it was dark.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Just some advice from Montana. Out here I do a lot of hunting a minimum of 3 miles walk from my truck. I am not sure how far you go but in my case I go through my backpack at the beginning of the season and make sure that I have anything I might need to survive the night in an emergency or to bone out an animal. I hunt alone and where I hunt there is no cell phone service. Always make sure someone knows where you are hunting in case of an extreme emergency. Accidents happen and I would not like to try and crawl 3 miles with a shattered leg unless I had to. Always carry a few high protein bars in your pack. Most times mine don't get eaten until season is over. Space blanket takes up little room and can also shelter you from rain. waterproof matches or magnesium starter is good. Compass is good but GPS is preferable. Bears will usually leave you alone unless you have food or food smell on you that they can smell. Out here I am more worried about lions. Had one follow me once for a short ways and did not make me feel good. Find shelter under a pine or cedar tree if possible and if it's cold out make a bed of leaves of pine needles to lay on to shelter you from the cold ground. Leaves and pine needles also have a good insulation factor as well as dry grass if you need to cover yourself up. Also some sort of water purifier or purifying tablets would be beneficial. Out here you could get giardia from drinking the wrong water, not sure about your neck of the woods. Also a small 1st aid kit with ibuprofen might be nice. These are just a few items i would suggest. Everyone has there own opinions and you will have to decide what you feel is important or not to carry in a pack.