Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What Happened??? >

What Happened???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Happened???

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Happened???

Up in a tree about 18'. Downhill shot on a doe at 25 yards. I shoot and the doe runs off.Jumped like it had been hit. I watch it walk off for about 100 yards then out of site.
I get down from the tree to inspect the arrow.

Easton Axis with 100g NAP Hellrazor

The arrow is laying on the ground in three pieces right where the deer was when i shot at it.

* The nock end piece is about 4 inches long
* The center piece was about 6 inches long
* The remainder of the arrow had the broadhead attached
* All three pieces were found within 3 feet of each other
* The broadhead was in perfect condition and clean
* it was lying on the ground not stuck in it
* There was no blood, fat, dirt, anything on any of the pieces.
* Other than split into 3 clean pieces the arrow looked new
* There was no blood or hair on the ground
* I saw the deer stand in a spot about 40 Yards from the shot for about 2 minutes. No blood there at all. No blood anywhere.

What could possibly have happened????
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

broken arrow from the start. could of been cracked. be glad it didn' tbreak instantly, and go right through your hand.or worse. no damage to broadhead....no rock hit..

my bet is the arrow was cracked
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd say it was a deflection. But, I don't think you'd have found the BH end, unless it hit something and dropped right there.

It still could have deflected and hit something sideways. But again, finding the BH end is mostly undeard of, IMO.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mean it was crazy.
The 3 pieces were lined up in order. Broadhead and half of shaft facing away from me. 6 inches separated from the middle piece. Then the fletching piece just after that.

On a deflection, i would think that the pieces would be scattered all over the place.

When i have missed a target while practicing and hit a big rock the broadhead was messed up and the nock was popped out.

In this case the broadhead looked brand new and was clean. The nock was still in the end

I'm dumbfounded
Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a possibility, I shot at a doe once at about the same height but at a closer range and missed low. I found my arrow clean with the exception of hair in the nock. I figured the deer dropped after the shot to bolt away and jammed its chest into the arrow. This could be what happened.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would guesse from what you described you shot low and the deer stomped on the arrow when it ran off,
Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by petasux
I would guesse from what you described you shot low and the deer stomped on the arrow when it ran off,
I 2nd that hypothesis...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

^^So...he shoot low....and the arrow doesn't stick in the ground?

Only explanation for that is....the arrow didn't strike whatever it hit - BH end-first. Which means....you hit something that deflected it.

Give me another scenario where the BH isn't sticking in the ground (or didn't strike something on/in the ground - and damage the BH).
Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

So GMMAT,
Arrow deflects enroute. possibly hits deer almost sideways. Deer steps on arrow a time or two?

Maybe. It sounds possible to me.

It would explain why all three pieces were found next to each other and why the broadhead is in perfect condition
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DannyD
So GMMAT,
Arrow deflects enroute. possibly hits deer almost sideways. Deer steps on arrow a time or two?

Maybe. It sounds possible to me.

It would explain why all three pieces were found next to each other and why the broadhead is in perfect condition
That sounds possible. or maybe the deer kicked it? I shot a deer once and found the arrow stuck in the dirt at an angle exact opposite of how I shot it. The point was closer to me than the nock... it was weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.