Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Late season hunting >

Late season hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season hunting

Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Late season Bowhunt

Thanks for all the good gouge. I think I'm gonna try the thicker cover.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Huh?

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
Nope, I will be the decenter in the group. You need to hunt the thickets. It's not easy getting into them quietly. So I reccomend getting into them an hour before shooting light. Big bucks, any bucks for that matter are very skittish by now. There is only one place they feel comfortable and that is in the thickets. They will go there before shooting hours and remain all day until dark. You only need a small shooting lane or 2 in there. The bucks will move around relaxed off and on throughout the day to stretch their legs. Don't do any calling. Just be patient and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck
Does one really want to go into their bedding/safe haven and start hack'n and whack'n shooting lanes? If they go in there before shooting hours and don't come out until dark, when do you go in there to disturb them?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by tight360
Does one really want to go into their bedding/safe haven and start hack'n and whack'n shooting lanes? If they go in there before shooting hours and don't come out until dark, when do you go in there to disturb them?
No, I never hack shooting lanes. I rely on natural shooting lanes. I just pointed out you only need a few. The take away from that is the thicker you go, the better. Just position yourself in the tree that gives you your choice shots.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Bump, can we get an update? How did thicker cover workout? It's my favorite place to hunt.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

If you do shoot a nice buck late in season, be careful of pulling it out by it's antlers. They tend to fall off easy and now you have a shed.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Find the remaining food sources and you should find the deer
Old 02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Spike

I shot a buck that will hopefully go around 160" this January in WI by hunting the edge of a thick sanctuary leading to the main food source. I have watched this buck for five years and never saw him during the day. However, I knew a big snow storm was coming so I thought I'd try my luck. Sure enough, his hunger got to him and he went down a trail 20 yards in front of me well before the end of shooting light. I am now convinced you need to hunt where the deer leave the thick stuff to feed, because I have hunted over the food and have never had anything of size come out during shooting light.